|Leader||the Council of 1000|
The Democratic City State of Nieuw Gent is a massive, cultured nation, ruled by the Council of 1000 with an even hand, and remarkable for its lack of airports, digital currency, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate, cheerful population of 2.615 billion Nieuwe Gentenaars have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The enormous government juggles the competing demands of Education, Administration, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Nieuw Gent. The average income tax rate is 91.9%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The all-consuming Ne nieuwe gentenaar economy, worth 275 trillion Euros a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is highly specialized, is mostly made up of the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing and Tourism. Average income is an impressive 105,286 Euros, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The amount welfare recipients spend on fertilizer has exploded, relations with Dàguó have warmed from frosty to chilly, abattoirs are struggling with the directive to 'wait until the animal dies of a ripe old age', and the tenet of free speech is held dear. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Nieuw Gent's national animal is the Crowned Lion, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, the tenet of free speech is held dear.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, abattoirs are struggling with the directive to 'wait until the animal dies of a ripe old age'.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, relations with Dàguó have warmed from frosty to chilly.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, the amount welfare recipients spend on fertilizer has exploded.
- : Nieuw Gent endorsed The United Socialist States of Kurdislavic Algharbistan.
- : Nieuw Gent voted against the World Assembly Resolution "On Interregional Recruitment".
- : Nieuw Gent voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Volcanic Activity Convention".
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, people reciting Shakespeare have become a common sight.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, a policy of plausible deniability helps protect the government from athletic doping scandals.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, literature classes frequently go on field trips to rock concerts.
Endorsements Received: 90 » Kalifer and Baska, Northern German Federation, Republic of Satherland, Elisabethshagen, Irminsulia, Yahlia, Saint Domingo, The Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth, Walfo, Regnum Italiae, Thracia Republic, Jim the Baptist, Dark Matter, St Scarlett, Pilipinas and Malaya, The New Nordic Union, Neuchateau, Imperium Anglorum, The Wretched of this Earth, GanymedEuropa, Chioganah, Outer Sparta, Lord Sapre, Slavorussia, TF1 TASK FORCE 1, Feria-Alkaline, Alsted, An Clar, Super Happy Land, Dauershire, Bohomo, Supcotia, Nardin, The Champions League, Invernessia, Someseni, Savinecross, Sloburg, Leranditale, North of Americas, Lyallpur, Destyntine, Umeria, Nuweland, Abject Ludicrosity, The Seven Provinces, Ausvelt, Ansington, Lieges, Chronus, and 40 others.The Kingdom of Denmark, Jahass, The Reunited Yugoslavs, Enway, Meropis, Rivierenland, Crestphalia, Greater Icelandia, Trixeland, Kanokla, NorthPortugal, Apabeossie, Kyrica, Eski, Valtrona, Eco-Paris Reformation, Mynox, Othenhiem, Stromia, Nuevo Europa, Zulrich, Gliesetonia, Berlin and Hanover, Robbonia, Parliamentary Laramidia, Estonesia, Leszno, Elania Kingdom, Hallorland, The Rebels of Ireland, A3161, Maritzal, New Eestiball, Daulle, Thracia and Crimea, Ostermarch, Wombelland, Namiona, East Kirea, and Kurdislavic Algharbistan.