The Federal Republic of Neornith is a gargantuan, efficient nation, renowned for its museums and concert halls, ubiquitous missile silos, and multi-spousal wedding ceremonies. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 15.76 billion Avans are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.
The medium-sized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Healthcare, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Aviena. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 21.7%.
The powerhouse Neornithian economy, worth a remarkable 1,273 trillion anks a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, broadly diversified black market in Arms Manufacturing, Information Technology, Retail, and Tourism. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 80,833 anks, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 238,228 per year while the poor average 21,582, a ratio of 11.0 to 1.
Farmers' market days almost always end in a shooting, door-to-door salesmen are frequently beaten up by 'vigilantes', candidates for public office painstakingly research their family trees to ensure their eligibility, and only AI know why the nation is rapidly increasing its semiconductor stockpile. Crime, especially youth-related, is a serious problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Neornith's national animal is the raptor, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Neornith's influence in The Expanse fell from "Dealmaker" to "Instigator".
- : Neornith was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Economic Output.
- : Neornith's influence in The Expanse fell from "Enforcer" to "Dealmaker".
- : Neornith was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Populations and the Top 10% for Most Cultured.
- : Neornith was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Beautiful Environments.
- : Neornith was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Black Market, Most Armed, and Highest Workforce Participation Rate.
- : Neornith's influence in The Expanse fell from "Eminence Grise" to "Enforcer".
- : Neornith's influence in The Expanse rose from "Enforcer" to "Eminence Grise".
- : Neornith's influence in The Expanse rose from "Dealmaker" to "Enforcer".
- : Neornith's influence in The Expanse rose from "Instigator" to "Dealmaker".