The Most Serene Republic of Monkey Island is a massive, orderly nation, remarkable for its compulsory military service, complete absence of social welfare, and spontaneously combusting cars. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 2.046 billion Monkeys are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.
The minute, pro-business, well-organized government, or what there is of one, prioritizes Defense, although Law & Order and Healthcare are also considered important, while Spirituality and International Aid are ignored. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 4.8%.
The strong Monkey economy, worth 116 trillion bananas a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Retail, Trout Farming, and Gambling. Average income is 56,763 bananas, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 331,369 per year while the poor average 4,574, a ratio of 72.4 to 1.
Military spending recently hit a new high, organ donation is compulsory, young children are regularly seen wagering pocket money at blackjack tables, and the government awards prizes to television shows featuring stereotype-breaking minority roles. Crime is a serious problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Monkey Island's national animal is the chimpanzee.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Monkey Island's influence in Monkey Island rose from "Shoeshiner" to "Page".
- : Monkey Island's influence in Monkey Island rose from "Sprat" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Monkey Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Armed.
- : Monkey Island's influence in Monkey Island rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Monkey Island's influence in Monkey Island rose from "Zero" to "Minnow".
- : Monkey Island was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Pro-Market and the Top 10% for Highest Unexpected Death Rate.
- : Monkey Island proposed constructing embassies between Monkey Island and Texas.
- : Monkey Island removed Appearance authority from the WA Delegate in Monkey Island.
- : Monkey Island granted posting privileges on the Monkey Island Regional Message Board to Officers with Communications authority in embassy regions.
- : Monkey Island removed the tag "Offsite Forums" from Monkey Island.