|Leader||Emperor Willem van Oranje|
The Unified Empire of Mersdon is a massive, genial nation, ruled by Emperor Willem van Oranje with an even hand, and remarkable for its pith helmet sales, rampant corporate plagiarism, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate, hard-working, democratic, cheerful population of 2.976 billion Mersidonians enjoy extensive civil freedoms, particularly in social issues, while business tends to be more regulated.
The large government juggles the competing demands of Education, Administration, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Benedict-on-Sea. The average income tax rate is 95.8%.
The frighteningly efficient Mersidonian economy, worth 541 trillion Blue-Guldenmarks a year, is quite specialized and led by the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Tourism, Book Publishing, and Arms Manufacturing. Average income is an impressive 182,024 Blue-Guldenmarks, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.3 times as much as the poorest.
Many marriages go virtually unconsummated, shady doctors seem to have impeccable records, the automotive industry soaks up huge government handouts, and prime real estate is devoted to wind farms and solar energy generators. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Mersdon's national animal is the Benedict, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Mersidonian Saints-Worship.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Mersdon voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Prohibit Private Prisons".
- : Mersdon approved the World Assembly proposal "Prohibit Private Prisons".
- : Mersdon lodged a message on the The Okchi Union Regional Message Board.
- : Following new legislation in Mersdon, prime real estate is devoted to wind farms and solar energy generators.
- : Following new legislation in Mersdon, the automotive industry soaks up huge government handouts.
- : Following new legislation in Mersdon, shady doctors seem to have impeccable records.
- : Following new legislation in Mersdon, many marriages go virtually unconsummated.
- : Following new legislation in Mersdon, the wealthiest parts of the country receive the most government spending.
- : Mersdon was reclassified from "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" to "Left-Leaning College State".
- : Mersdon renamed the office held by The United States of Quitman Mississippi from "Speaker of Parliament *" to "Speaker of Parliament" in The Okchi Union.