The United Kingdom of Meritdom is a massive, socially progressive nation, ruled by Leader with a fair hand, and remarkable for its keen interest in outer space, daily referendums, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic, humorless population of 3.282 billion Meritdomians are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
The tiny, corrupt, pro-business, outspoken government prioritizes Industry, although Defense, Healthcare, and Education are also considered important, while Welfare and Environment aren't funded at all. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Meritdom City. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 2.7%.
The frighteningly efficient Meritdomian economy, worth 534 trillion Merit Dollars a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Information Technology industry, with major contributions from Arms Manufacturing, Retail, and Gambling. Average income is an impressive 162,941 Merit Dollars, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 1,006,227 per year while the poor average 11,439, a ratio of 88.0 to 1.
Citizens can't decide whether to be proud or horrified by the country's colonial history, sharks are enjoying their deliveries of canned food, government officials frequently cut taxes as a distraction from antics with their secretaries, and a typical fast food menu item could serve a small army. Crime, especially youth-related, is a serious problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Meritdom's national animal is the Arctic Fox, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its national religion is Rationalism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Meritdom's influence in Balder rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Meritdom's influence in Balder rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Meritdom's influence in Balder rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Meritdom's influence in Balder rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Meritdom was refounded in Balder.
- : Meritdom ceased to exist in The North Pacific.
- : Meritdom was endorsed by The Incorporated States of MiEdZyMoRsE.
- : Meritdom was endorsed by The United Haven of Guyomartand.
- : Meritdom was endorsed by The Democratic Republic of Get Away From Me.
- : Meritdom was endorsed by The United Workers of Gospel Power.