The Democratic Republic of Melito is a huge, safe nation, remarkable for its museums and concert halls, avant-garde cinema, and rampant corporate plagiarism. The compassionate, democratic population of 339 million Melitoans love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Welfare, and Environment. The average income tax rate is 80.8%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The Melitoan economy, worth 19.5 trillion kronor a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is quite specialized, is mostly made up of the Tourism industry, with significant contributions from Uranium Mining, Trout Farming, and Door-to-door Insurance Sales. Average income is 57,460 kronor, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
There is an abondance of ackawi and zartschmelzend in every Melitoan grocery store, party-lovers often change religions just for the weekend, on-duty Air Melito flight attendants are usually seen napping in first class, and the justice of Melito is considered superior to that of other nations. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Melito's national animal is the kangaroo, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Melito was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Advanced Public Education.
- : Melito was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Income Equality.
- : Following new legislation in Melito, the justice of Melito is considered superior to that of other nations.
- : Following new legislation in Melito, on-duty Air Melito flight attendants are usually seen napping in first class.
- : Following new legislation in Melito, party-lovers often change religions just for the weekend.
- : Following new legislation in Melito, there is an abondance of ackawi and zartschmelzend in every Melitoan grocery store.
- : Following new legislation in Melito, elderly citizens regularly buy posh multimillion-krona mansions.
- : Melito voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Trotterdam".
- : Melito voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Protecting Legal Rights of Workers".
- : Melito was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Rebellious Youth.
Endorsements Received: 27 » The Workers Union of Habsburg-Lorraine, United States of Stalinia, Kethania, Nixian States, Shamian, Raadsland, Uinted Communist of Africa, Egaleca, Transbiansylvania, Kergstan, Kedabunon, Systemtopia, Phallas, Marxmeans, Terrapinne, GreatUnion of Soviet Socialist Republics, Bibliophilius, Tewi, Land of Justinian, Gong Ren, Eyckman, Sestabolgia, -Gregoria, Porklandiasss, The Egalitarian Federation, North Fluedan, and Yevaryia.