The Fiefdom of Marilands is a massive, orderly nation, ruled by Merlin the Humble with an iron fist, and notable for its soft-spoken computers, state-planned economy, and irreverence towards religion. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 2.068 billion Marilandsians are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.
The relatively small, corrupt government juggles the competing demands of Industry, Law & Order, and Education. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of New Snake City. The average income tax rate is 25.9%.
The frighteningly efficient Marilandsian economy, worth 338 trillion Silvers a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, broadly diversified black market in Information Technology, Tourism, Book Publishing, and Retail. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is an impressive 163,864 Silvers, with the richest citizens earning 5.1 times as much as the poorest.
Gay couples have to travel to Brancaland to find a church that will actually let them wed, Merlin the Humble is worshipped as a god, invasive drug testing is now performed at elementary school sports days, and Merlin the Humble affectionately nicknames supporters by number. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Marilands's national animal is the Snake, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Marilands's influence in Osiris rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Marilands's influence in Osiris rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Marilands's influence in Osiris rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Following new legislation in Marilands, Merlin the Humble affectionately nicknames supporters by number.
- : Following new legislation in Marilands, invasive drug testing is now performed at elementary school sports days.
- : Marilands was refounded in Osiris.
- : Marilands ceased to exist in The North Pacific.
- : Marilands was endorsed by The Free Republic of Rockym.
- : Marilands was endorsed by The Kingdom of Wodan.
- : Marilands was endorsed by The Rogue Nation of Tel Qual.