|Leader||Prime Minister Robin Cook|
The Republic of Maplestan is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Prime Minister Robin Cook with a fair hand, and notable for its rampant corporate plagiarism, ubiquitous missile silos, and restrictive gun laws. The compassionate, hard-working, democratic, cheerful population of 20.854 billion Brits hold their civil and political rights very dear, although the wealthy and those in business tend to be viewed with suspicion.
The large, liberal, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of London. The average income tax rate is 98.8%.
The frighteningly efficient British economy, worth a remarkable 4,965 trillion Puffins a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Tourism and Book Publishing. Average income is an amazing 238,130 Puffins, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.0 times as much as the poorest.
Fast-food chefs regularly win Health Innovation Awards for spitting on burgers, nude art is becoming wildly popular, kids feel more beat up than ever after a hard day at school, and the government is making attempts at curtailing the flood of spam emails with little progress. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Maplestan's national animal is the pixie, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is none.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Maplestan created a new poll in Pax Britannia: "Best fast food chain?".
- : Maplestan created a new poll in Pax Britannia: "Best pet?".
- : Maplestan created a new poll in Pax Britannia: "Best type of comics?".
- : Maplestan was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Politically Free.
- : Maplestan created a new poll in Pax Britannia: "Which country produces the best cars?".
- : Maplestan created a new poll in Pax Britannia: "Best potato?".
- : Maplestan created a new poll in Pax Britannia: "Where would you rather swim?".
- : Maplestan changed its national leader to "Prime Minister Robin Cook".
- : Maplestan voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Electrum".
- : Maplestan created a new poll in Pax Britannia: "What's your first language?".