The Protectorate of Lyras is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Warmarshal Leon Krell with an iron fist, and remarkable for its national health service, anti-smoking policies, and irreverence towards religion. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 24.504 billion Lyrans are kept under strict control by the oppressive government, which measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as "human resources."
The medium-sized, corrupt, moralistic, well-organized government is effectively ruled by the Department of Defense, with Environment and Welfare not funded at all. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Bredubar. The average income tax rate is 95.8%.
The frighteningly efficient Lyran economy, worth a remarkable 8,641 trillion Varessan crowns a year, is broadly diversified and mostly comprised of black market activity, especially in Arms Manufacturing, Information Technology, and Uranium Mining. Average income is an amazing 352,674 Varessan crowns, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 4.5 times as much as the poorest.
Truncheon-mounted cameras record the beating of criminals in dynamic HD detail, the nation has declared war on all passing comets, governments opposing Lyras are beset by rebels, and cities are engulfed by smog. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, despite the fact that it is difficult to make it through a day without breaking one of the country's many laws. Lyras's national animal is the Lyran Drop Bear, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Lyras, cities are engulfed by smog.
- : Following new legislation in Lyras, governments opposing Lyras are beset by rebels.
- : Following new legislation in Lyras, the nation has declared war on all passing comets.
- : Following new legislation in Lyras, truncheon-mounted cameras record the beating of criminals in dynamic HD detail.
- : Following new legislation in Lyras, the "war on terror" doesn't seem to be making Lyrans any less frightened.
- : Lyras's influence in Greater Dienstad rose from "Envoy" to "Diplomat".
- : Following new legislation in Lyras, crime suspects are forced to submit to blood testing.
- : Following new legislation in Lyras, biotech companies are fined if their jumbled genetic sequences look too familiar.
- : Lyras was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Stationary.
- : Following new legislation in Lyras, the nation's orphanages and maternity wards have been nicknamed 'the Killbot Factories'.