The Democratic Republic of Lebenlauf is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Lady D with a fair hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, smutty television, and restrictive gun laws. The compassionate, hard-working, democratic, cheerful population of 19.428 billion Lebenlaufians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Zweites Kuh. The average income tax rate is 99.7%.
The all-consuming Lebenlaufian economy, worth a remarkable 3,167 trillion Platinums a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology and Gambling. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is an impressive 163,051 Platinums, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
A favorite "life hack" for gap year backpackers is to pretend to be homeless for government handouts, the government only invests in infrastructure after a natural disaster, autocrats are persona non grata, and the optimally efficient parking strategy for business commuters is referred to as the "traveling salesman problem". Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Lebenlauf's national animal is the Sea Otter, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Lebenlauf's influence in Lazarus rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Lebenlauf was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Patriotic.
- : Lebenlauf's influence in Lazarus rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Lebenlauf was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Average Incomes.
- : Lebenlauf was refounded in Lazarus.
- : Lebenlauf ceased to exist in Balder.
- : Lebenlauf's influence in Balder rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Lebenlauf's influence in Balder rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Lebenlauf's influence in Balder rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Lebenlauf was refounded in Balder.