The Republic of Laysley is a gargantuan, efficient nation, ruled by Lord-Governor Caracas with an even hand, and renowned for its sprawling nuclear power plants, anti-smoking policies, and suspicion of poets. The hard-nosed, hard-working, humorless, devout population of 15.221 billion Layslians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The large, corrupt government juggles the competing demands of Spirituality, Defense, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of St Michael. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 53.4%.
The frighteningly efficient Layslian economy, worth a remarkable 1,498 trillion Ducats a year, is quite specialized and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Uranium Mining, Information Technology, and Furniture Restoration. Black market activity is rampant. Average income is 98,440 Ducats, with the richest citizens earning 5.5 times as much as the poorest.
Road signs are getting harder to read under layers of knitted woolen cardigans, the poor are forced into bankruptcy by their energy bills, unused plastic recycling bins are being dumped into landfills by the tonne, and hidden bedroom-cams are installed to catch mothers doing their kids' homework. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Laysley's national animal is the Stag, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Leukopolian Christianity.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Laysley's influence in Balder rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Laysley's influence in Balder rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Laysley's influence in Balder rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Laysley was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements.
- : Laysley was refounded in Balder.
- : Laysley ceased to exist in Balder.
- : Laysley was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Zombies and the Top 10% for Most Dead and Most Survivors.
- : Laysley's influence in Balder rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Following new legislation in Laysley, hidden bedroom-cams are installed to catch mothers doing their kids' homework.
- : Following new legislation in Laysley, unused plastic recycling bins are being dumped into landfills by the tonne.