The Surprising Existence of Klaatu is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, renowned for its enslaved workforce, compulsory military service, and state-planned economy. The devout population of 10.865 billion Klaatuans are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, socially-minded morass — juggles the competing demands of Defense, Social Policy, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Klaatu City. The average income tax rate is 78.2%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but underdeveloped Klaatuan economy, worth 323 trillion nons a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is quite specialized, is dominated by the Automobile Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism, Furniture Restoration, and Uranium Mining. Average income is 29,801 nons, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Public footpaths are being slowly eroded by the burgeoning number of ramblers, census workers struggle to account for the rapidly increasing number of citizens to tabulate, the nation is currently revamping its entire education system, and teenage fathers are forced to join the army. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Klaatu's national animal is the ibex, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Klaatu appointed The Free Dominion of New Vectis as Communications Officer with authority over Communications in Vectis.
- : Klaatu relocated from El Salvador to Vectis.
- : Klaatu relocated from Armenia to El Salvador.
- : Klaatu relocated from Vectis to Armenia.
- : Klaatu was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Cheerful Citizens.
- : Klaatu was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Stationary.
- : Following new legislation in Klaatu, teenage fathers are forced to join the army.
- : Following new legislation in Klaatu, the nation is currently revamping its entire education system.
- : Following new legislation in Klaatu, census workers struggle to account for the rapidly increasing number of citizens to tabulate.
- : Following new legislation in Klaatu, public footpaths are being slowly eroded by the burgeoning number of ramblers.