The People's Republic of Kitimat is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, remarkable for its compulsory military service, keen interest in outer space, and absence of drug laws. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 41.303 billion Kitimatians enjoy great individual freedoms in everything except elections, which, where they exist at all, are populist shams for a dictatorship government that has no intention of ever giving up power.
The tiny, liberal, well-organized government is effectively ruled by the Department of Defense, with Environment and Welfare not funded at all. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 2.8%.
The frighteningly efficient Kitimatian economy, worth a remarkable 7,427 trillion Victory Chits a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Uranium Mining industry, with major contributions from Book Publishing, Arms Manufacturing, and Gambling. Average income is an impressive 179,825 Victory Chits, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 621,721 per year while the poor average 38,022, a ratio of 16.4 to 1.
Euthanasia is legal, protesters are up in arms over new nuclear power stations, the tenet of free speech is held dear, and the people of Kitimat are renowned for their nihilistic attitudes. Crime, especially youth-related, is a major problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Kitimat's national animal is the Steelhead, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Kitimat's influence in The New Meritocracy fell from "Enforcer" to "Instigator".
- : Kitimat's influence in The New Meritocracy rose from "Instigator" to "Enforcer".
- : Kitimat's influence in The New Meritocracy rose from "Minnow" to "Instigator".
- : Kitimat ejected and banned Kawaii invader hachijuuichi from The New Meritocracy.
- : Kitimat ejected and banned The Join Lily of Switz got lazy 22 from The New Meritocracy.
- : Kitimat appointed The Radioactive Republic of Jasque as Praetor with authority over Appearance, Border Control, Communications, Embassies, and Polls in The New Meritocracy.
- : Kitimat altered its national flag.
- : Kitimat relocated from Osiris to The New Meritocracy.
- : Kitimat was refounded in Osiris.
- : Kitimat ceased to exist in The New Meritocracy.