The Democratic States of Jlab is a small, orderly nation, remarkable for its compulsory military service, complete absence of social welfare, and spontaneously combusting cars. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, devout population of 36 million Jlabians enjoy great individual freedoms in everything except elections, which, where they exist at all, are populist shams for a dictatorship government that has no intention of ever giving up power.
The minute, liberal, pro-business government, or what there is of one, is dominated by the Department of Spirituality, with Defense and Healthcare also on the agenda, while Industry and Welfare receive no funds. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 5.0%.
The Jlabian economy, worth 1.88 trillion USDS a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Gambling industry, with major contributions from Book Publishing, Automobile Manufacturing, and Retail. Average income is 52,124 USDS, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 321,097 per year while the poor average 3,682, a ratio of 87.2 to 1.
Organ donation is compulsory, scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes, a government program is underway to revitalize Jlab's beaches, and a dictator has seized power and outlawed elections. Crime is a serious problem, probably because of the absence of a police force. Jlab's national animal is the Manatee , which frolics freely in the nation's sparkling oceans.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Jlab's influence in Refugia rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Jlab's influence in Refugia rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Jlab was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Lowest Overall Tax Burden and the Top 10% for Highest Crime Rates, Highest Wealthy Incomes, Most Pro-Market, and Greatest Rich-Poor Divides.
- : Following new legislation in Jlab, a dictator has seized power and outlawed elections.
- : Jlab was reclassified from "Anarchy" to "Benevolent Dictatorship".
- : Jlab's influence in Refugia rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Following new legislation in Jlab, a government program is underway to revitalize Jlab's beaches.
- : Following new legislation in Jlab, scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes.
- : Jlab relocated from The South Pacific to Refugia.
- : Following new legislation in Jlab, organ donation is compulsory.