The Floating Island of Hyperbolic Orbit is a gargantuan, cultured nation, renowned for its anti-smoking policies, compulsory military service, and zero percent divorce rate. The compassionate, democratic, devout population of 19.823 billion Hyperbolic Orbitians have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The tiny government juggles the competing demands of Healthcare, Environment, and Education. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Menaion. The average income tax rate is 6.8%.
The Hyperbolic Orbitian economy, worth 545 trillion Hugs a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector is mostly comprised of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 27,498 Hugs, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.1 times as much as the poorest.
Crocodile roadkill is smeared across the asphalt of the new Formula One track, nobody is allowed to stop the local daycare from reading Nietzsche to pre-schoolers, the number of judges has tripled in recent months, and tumbleweed drifts through the nation's shopping centres during the weekends. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Hyperbolic Orbit's national animal is the orbital cat, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Hyperbolic Orbit was endorsed by The Federations of Dektor.
- : Hyperbolic Orbit was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- : Hyperbolic Orbit was endorsed by The Dissociative State of Hardscrabble.
- : Hyperbolic Orbit was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Zombified and Most Dead.
- : Hyperbolic Orbit was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Zombies and the Top 10% for Most Zombified, Most Survivors, and Most Extensive Public Healthcare.
- : Hyperbolic Orbit was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Lowest Overall Tax Burden.
- : Following new legislation in Hyperbolic Orbit, tumbleweed drifts through the nation's shopping centres during the weekends.
- : Hyperbolic Orbit endorsed The Moonrise Kingdom of Kowassati.
- : Hyperbolic Orbit was endorsed by The Moonrise Kingdom of Kowassati.
- : Hyperbolic Orbit was endorsed by The Queendom of Blockyvillelandia.