The Holy Empire of House Habsburg is a huge, orderly nation, renowned for its public floggings, complete absence of social welfare, and spontaneously combusting cars. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, devout population of 263 million Austrians are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.
The relatively small, well-organized government prioritizes Defense, although Law & Order and Education are also considered important, while International Aid and Social Policy receive no funds. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 9.2%.
The strong Austrian economy, worth 16.3 trillion thalars a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, fairly diversified black market in Arms Manufacturing, Gambling, Automobile Manufacturing, and Book Publishing. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 61,937 thalars, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 248,545 per year while the poor average 10,344, a ratio of 24.0 to 1.
Many marriages go virtually unconsummated, vaccinations are mandatory, artists are pillars of society, and frat-house partying has become the national pastime. Crime, especially youth-related, is relatively low, thanks to a capable police force. House Habsburg's national animal is the black eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in House Habsburg, frat-house partying has become the national pastime.
- : Following new legislation in House Habsburg, artists are pillars of society.
- : Following new legislation in House Habsburg, vaccinations are mandatory.
- : Following new legislation in House Habsburg, many marriages go virtually unconsummated.
- : Following new legislation in House Habsburg, tradesmen will knock 10% off their fees if customers pay cash.
- : House Habsburg was reclassified from "Corporate Police State" to "Compulsory Consumerist State".
- : House Habsburg was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Automobile Manufacturing Sector and Highest Unexpected Death Rate.
- : Following new legislation in House Habsburg, rural citizens live in terror of their local village constable.
- : Following new legislation in House Habsburg, the House Habsburg Automotive Racing Series draws millions of spectators annually while those near the tracks complain about the noise.
- : House Habsburg was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Workforce Participation Rate.