The Ancient Kingdom of Gustaven is a massive, orderly nation, notable for its public floggings, complete lack of public education, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 2.78 billion Gustavenians are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The relatively small, corrupt, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Habaara. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 14.1%.
The powerhouse Gustavenian economy, worth 181 trillion gudas a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Automobile Manufacturing, Book Publishing, and Uranium Mining. Average income is 65,371 gudas, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 216,770 per year while the poor average 14,716, a ratio of 14.7 to 1.
Heavy industry must go to expensive lengths to dispose of waste, the government has cut taxes in the face of widespread tax evasion, Red Cross demand for body bags is rising while sutures go unused, and international organisations everywhere are united in their condemnation of the nation's zombified military (Gustaven has found 1 easter egg). Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force. Gustaven's national animal is the Crow, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Gustaven was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Advanced Law Enforcement.
- : Gustaven's influence in United Alliances rose from "Squire" to "Apprentice".
- : Gustaven's influence in United Alliances rose from "Page" to "Squire".
- : Gustaven's influence in United Alliances rose from "Shoeshiner" to "Page".
- : Gustaven's influence in United Alliances rose from "Sprat" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Gustaven's influence in United Alliances rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Gustaven's influence in United Alliances rose from "Zero" to "Minnow".
- : Gustaven relocated from Sumerian Coalition to United Alliances.
- : Gustaven's influence in Sumerian Coalition rose from "Zero" to "Sprat".
- : Gustaven was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Ignorant Citizens and the Top 10% for Most Corrupt Governments, Largest Automobile Manufacturing Sector, Most Avoided, and Most Politically Apathetic Citizens.