|Animal||Deadly Garden Snake|
The Oppressed Peoples of Gurou is a huge, orderly nation, remarkable for its pith helmet sales, infamous sell-swords, and stringent health and safety legislation. The hard-nosed, cynical, humorless population of 390 million Gurouans are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."
The large, corrupt, moralistic, socially-minded, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Education. The average income tax rate is 71.4%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but inefficient Gurouan economy, worth 22.7 trillion Iousies a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized black market in Arms Manufacturing, Tourism, Trout Farming, and Retail. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 58,252 Iousies, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Sneezing pedestrians are grabbed by alley-lurking doctors, exorbitant spending on icebreakers breaks the ice at every budget meeting, explosive diarrhoea is not just a colorful phrase, and the police force is rumoured to be made up of evil shadows with no souls. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Gurou's national animal is the Deadly Garden Snake, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Gurou, the police force is rumoured to be made up of evil shadows with no souls.
- : Following new legislation in Gurou, explosive diarrhoea is not just a colorful phrase.
- : Following new legislation in Gurou, exorbitant spending on icebreakers breaks the ice at every budget meeting.
- : Following new legislation in Gurou, sneezing pedestrians are grabbed by alley-lurking doctors.
- : Following new legislation in Gurou, a small country is wondering where their capitol building's gold dome went.
- : Gurou voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Crime and Punishment"".
- : Following new legislation in Gurou, the people consider response to rudeness to be an acceptable casus belli.
- : Following new legislation in Gurou, the new national campaign exhorts men to "Show Some Class - Don't Sit On Your Ass".
- : Following new legislation in Gurou, homeless people dying of starvation are thought to be a necessary cost of preventing terrorism.
- : Gurou was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Unexpected Death Rate.
Endorsements Received: 79 » Territorio di Nessuno, Corfad, Siwale, Shibutani, Gladio II, Sundred, Wodan, Yaorozu, Kylesburgh, PlanetPunk, The Mace Kingdom, McMasterdonia, Koda-Land, Eravonia, Mzeusia, Universal State Formula, United Draconia, Bayern-Straubing, Notyoutopia, Empy, Albacria, Buckerino, Wineclaw, Shin-Hachioji, Pallaith, Zeternia, Selfgradatude, Sunto, Kwaj, Liberentis, Sacrento, Frances Francis the First of France, Atain, Zokk, Former English Colony, Shadowrik, Xinchao, Holy Oranz, THX1138, Tyroshh, Q w e r t y, Pizza Squared, Guslantis, Ethnon, CedieRKing, Alsace and Lorraine United, RaRaRasputinn, The United States of Romania, Sanjurika, Sahriastan, and 29 others.Hyperbanus, Waterma, Dovena, Malta Comino Gozo, Sil Dorsett, Maott, Moubarakistan, East Darlown Zamatraporia, Rochester Black, Gooboistkoyt, Victoriaans Nederlands, Kulgatha, Suicidistan, Aenglaland, Vsyerossiya, I am the one who knocks, Xentherida, El Fiji Grande, Bharathvarsh, Sheppey, American MapleStory, Diodone, Shaun, East Wushen, Great Bird Society, Misuvelia, Dar es Saalam, Abrickhouse, and New Trisone.