The Dark Gods of the Empyrean utilize the massive Reality Tear known as the Cicatrix Dolor to manipulate the Materium. The Dark Gods use their malignant powers to empower and embolden numerous dangerous species, entities, factions, etc. across the Milky Way Galaxy. Through these various groups the Dark Gods seek to plunge the Galaxy into chaos (thus furthering their own power). The Dark Gods and their pawns encompass 'the Enemy', the single greatest threat to the stability of the Milky Way Galaxy.
The Victoran Empire has embarked on a zealous "Great Crusade" to sweep away 'the Enemy' and erase them from the face of existence. This unwavering desire to totally obliterate the Enemy stems from the fact that many member planets/races of the Empire have been subject to conquest, enslavement, torture, genocide, planetary destruction, etc. by the Enemy. Through the Great Crusade not only can they make the Universe a better place, but exact bloody vengeance upon those that caused them untold suffering.
The Imperial Inquisition was also formed in order to root out the Enemy, their agents, and other threats hiding within the Empire's borders.
- Dark Gods of the Empyrean: The Dark Gods of the Empyrean (also known as the Ruinous Powers) are powerful entities who inhabit and control the psychic dimension that underlies all physical reality known as the Empyrean (also known as the Realm of the Immaterium). The Neverborn are creatures born and sustained by the emotions and collective desires of every sentient being across all of time and space. The most powerful and malevolent of these Neverborn become the Dark Gods.
Even the best and most beneficial emotion, if taken to its extreme progression, becomes a destructive vice. And extreme, destructive emotions are far more potent than mild, healthy ones. Thus, the beings born from the strongest emotions will therefore be destructive and chaotic. While there is such a thing as a "Holy God" born from more "positive emotions" they are far weaker than the Dark Gods.
As Neverborn, the Dark Gods are dependent upon the emotions of mortal creatures for their power and continued existence. For this reason the Dark Gods strive to convert all mortals to their worship and service so that they may ultimately dominate the Universe. However, if they were to win such an infernal victory, it would likely destroy all of reality as the separation between Realspace and the Empyrean broke down in its wake.
To further their own power utilize the massive Reality Tear known as the Cicatrix Dolor to manipulate the Materium. The Dark Gods use their malignant powers to empower and embolden numerous dangerous species, entities, factions, etc. across the Milky Way Galaxy. Through these various groups the Dark Gods seek to plunge the Galaxy into chaos. Many of these groups do not worship (or even recognize) the Dark Gods but nevertheless further their infernal goals.
'Dark Gods of the Empyrean, the Archenemy'
- Daemons: Daemons are entities born from the tides of the Empyrean and spawned from it's negative energies. Daemons appear to have some form of "hierarchy", from the Dark Gods themselves all the way to Lesser Daemons. There also appears to be various "races"/"types" of Daemons, with each race having appearances, traits, powers, etc. unique to themselves. Some Daemonic races appear more Human like while others are more beast like while others still have a form incomprehensible to the Human mind.
Even the best and most beneficial emotion, if taken to its extreme progression, becomes a destructive vice. And extreme, destructive emotions are far more potent than mild, healthy ones (meaning they are the emotions that manifest into Neverborn). For this reason the Daemons encompass the majority of the Neverborn and are more powerful than the Angels who are born from more "positive emotions".
Since Daemons are born from the negative energies of the Empyrean, many of them Daemons are malevolent b*stards. However, this is not true for all entities of this classification. Some Daemons (or even entire races) are able to "develope" to the point where they can experience the full range of emotions, good and bad, and are capable of benevolent acts. These Daemons are known as "Ascended Daemons" and are "pardoned" from Enemy status. Many Ascended Daemons have integrated quite well with the rest of society. Even the Emperor himself has numerous Daemonic associates, including Ragnar Helsen (a member of the Inner Circle), and the Gremory Clan (a "royal house" within a society of "evolved Devils").
Some Daemons have seemed to show signs of evolution, settling on a planet and creating a brand new species. A notable example of this is a society of "Devils", among them the aforementioned Gremory Clan.
As for the wholly malevolent Daemons. The Victoran Empire has never faced a threat so numerous.... or so dangerous.
Daemons, Children of the Empyrean
- The FALLEN: The FALLEN, also known as the LOST, the DAMNED, or the CORRUPTED, are normal individuals who have been corrupted by the negative energies of the Empyrean. Their mind, soul, and personality has been twisted by the Empyrean into a darker (often malevolent) version. Those with an exceptionally strong connection to the Empyrean have been known to display various physical changes. Some Exorcists within the Inquisition have been trained to spot signs of the TAINT within individuals and cure them before they become FALLEN.
'The FALLEN, Victims of Corruption'
- Apollyon: Apollyon is considered to be the greatest of 'the Enemy' second only to the Dark Gods themselves. Apollyon is a shape-changer but his most common form appears to be a combination of the (First) Phoenix and Mornancar's "Human" face.
Following the activation of the Astromatrix Imperialis, one of the Phoenix's "Watchers" (a manifestation of a Time Lord's potential future) took form within the Empyrean It would not be long before this "newborn" Watcher encountered the vitiated spirit of an ancient evil known as Mornancar the Anathema. After a long struggle, the Watcher and the Anathema merged together, giving birth to the entity known as Apollyon. Unfortunately, Apollyon's presence in the Empyrean left him vulnerable to the ethereal whispers of the Dark Gods.
Apollyon inherited the Phoenix's desire to help the Universe but also inherited Mornancar's burning hatred for the "current" Universe as well as contempt towards the weak and "undeserving". These conflicting viewpoints combined with the manipulation of the Dark Gods slowly twisted and corrupted Apollyon's mind. While Apollyon often acts on a whim, he is not without an ultimate goal. Apollyon's corruption made him disgusted with what he perceived to be various "flaws" of the Universe. As a result, Apollyon has taken it upon himself to "remedy" the "ailing" Universe in the most logical way possible. By dominating all life and enforcing his own will upon creation. Apollyon sees himself as the only being who make the Universe "perfect". Apollyon views the destruction he unleashes as "removing the plague of weakness from the face of the Universe". Only those that survive his "cleansing" are worthy of "inheriting the New World". Thus one can claim that Apollyon seeks to enact his own version of the Victoran Empire's "Great Crusade"
During his time in the Empyrean, Apollyon slowly amassed a large cult of followers who obey his every command. This group of followers form the Imperium Apollyon, which Apollyon himself rules over as a tyrant.
'Apollyon, the Anathema Reborn'
- Mornancar the Anathema: The Anathema (known to the Gallifreyans as 'Mornancar') is an ancient evil of unknown origin that predated the current Universe and terrorized the current Universe during the "Years of Twilight". Mornancar was encountered by the Ancient Gallifreyans who viewed it as a "Devil" figure. Even after the creation of the Web of Time and becoming the "Lords of Time", the early Time Lords still feared the Anathema. Matrix Records indicate that even Rassilon himself was wary of Mornancar. Some Time Lord historians believe that Mornancar was a Time Lord of the previous Universe, thus classifying him as a "Great Old One"
Mornancar was in existence long before the birth of the current Universe and looked upon the creation of the new Universe with the utmost contempt. Mornancar's fury fully errupted when the Gallifreyans imposed their Laws of Rationality on the Universe during the Anchoring of the Thread. Mornancar grew dangerously nihilistic about the existence of the current Universe and sought to bring it to a "premature end". Thus the Anathema made war against the Time Lords during the "Twilight War" in an attempt to bring an end to the Universe itself. The war was ended when the Time Lord known as Thaelixar the Iconoclast defeated the Anathema during the Battle of the Dhells and banished him into the furthest reaches of the Empyrean. Soon history became legend and legend became myth. Things that should never have been forgotten where lost as knowledge of the Anathema disappeared with the passage of time.
At some point, one of the Phoenix's Watchers (a manifestation of a Time Lord's potential future) took physical form within the Empyrean as an unforeseen consequence of the Eye of Victory's activation. It would not be long before this "newborn" Watcher encountered the vitiated spirit of the Anathema. The Anathema attacked the Watcher and attempted to steal its form. However, the Anathema did not anticipate the Watcher to fight back. After a long struggle, the Anathema and the Watcher merged as a new entity entirely. This entity became known as Apollyon. The malignant presence of the Anathema within Apollyon would slowly twist Apollyon's mind. Through the corrupted Apollyon, the Anathema would continue to influence the Universe long after it's death as his creation sewed discord across time and space.
Ironically, Mornancar was only able to "reincarnate" though the indirect actions of a descendent of the one man who had first doomed him. Furthermore, it was the actions of Thaelixar's descendants that would put an ultimate end to Mornancar's evil.
'Mornancar the Anathema, Ancient Malevolence'
- Bauron VII:
"I will admit, I am not a good man nor am I anywhere close to being a good parent. But everything I did was for a reason. This is the greater good, don't you see! The Spiral Politic as we know it is doomed! I see now that our only salvation lay in a fresh start. A new beginning. A New Order. A New World. Why can't you see that I'm only trying to help? All the destruction I wrought, all the suffering I caused. It could have all been avoided if they had only just cooperated. They were like tantruming children refusing to take their medicine. It is as the old saying goes. Spare the rod and spoil the child" - Bauron
Bauronthaelixargehennar (born 2000001 RE) was a Time Lord visionary, something that was rare among his people. However, like other Time Lord visionaries before him Bauron slowly grew corrupted. He became plagued with "visions of Armageddon" and began to focus his lives work on averting this apparent doom. It should be noted that it is only Bauron's fully deranged Seventh Incarnation that is classified as part of 'the Enemy'. Standing orders for Imperial forces (and a request for all allied nations) is to kill this incarnation of Bauron on sight in hopes that his next regeneration might be more stable (orders redacted by order of the Crown, Throne be praised.)
In his First Incarnation, Bauron gathered a cabal of Gallifey's greatest (and most eccentric) scientists to assist him in a project to "create a new generation of superior warriors" (essentially the Time Lord equivalent of the Primarch Project). After five millennia of research and planning Bauron (now on his Sixth Incarnation) was finally ready to put his plan into action. The first of this new generation of supersoldiers was created when Bauron directly tampered with his House's Loom and modified the genetics of a House member (the Time Lord later known as the Phoenix) during their looming. The Phoenix's "superior genetic makeup" was Bauron's magnum opus and greatest pride. However, time and gain Arcanum failed to live up to expectations. Refusing to give up, Bauron decided to make Phoenix a warrior "the old fashioned way". Thus Bauron continuously put his "creation" through draconian conditioning the moment the Phoenix was able (which for Time Lords is mere hours after Looming). The scars Phoenix received are still visible today, most notably the one in his right cheek that he had since he was at least three-years-old. Despite this treatment, Bauron's actions were not overtly malicious and causing serious harm was not the intent (though one must wonder why he thought putting a child through combat training was in any way a good idea). Bauron seemingly acted as a father-figure (albeit very strict) for the Phoenix who had the best interest of his "son" in mind (in a twisted sort of way).
Sometime after Phoenix's "escape" from Gallifrey, the High Council caught wind of Bauron's actions they put measures in place to prevent Bauron from furthering his "plot". Shortly thereafter however, Bauron gathered a handful of his closest "supporters" from within his own family and attempted to break the time-lock that had surrounded Gallifrey in order to put an end to the Armageddon themselves. Bauron's plan was to avoid Gallifrey's Transduction Barriers by travelling through the Empyrean. While Bauron was successful, the stress of such a feat imposed on his elderly forced him to regenerate. To make matters worse, Bauron's biodata had been tainted by Negative Warp Energy and the nature of the regeneration left Bauron's mind susceptible to the aforementioned energies. Bauron's sixth regeneration opened up new neural pathways in Bauron's brain and his seventh incarnation emerged fully plagued by madness (though it was not evident at first). This new incarnation of Bauron spent a few decades traveling throughout time and space, attempting to enact a number of plans and schemes that were all eventually foiled. Upon reaching the height of his madness, Bauron VII became convinced that the end of time was an inevitability. In order to save his race from oblivion Bauron VII, planned to enact the "Ultimate Sanction" which would destroy the current Universe and allow the Time Lords to ascend". These ascendeded Time Lords would become the almighty Great Old Ones of the next Universe.
Despite his seemingly "fractured" mental state, Bauron's intelligence has not been dampened in the slightest. Bauron VII was incredibly patient, operating from the shadows whilst using deceit and subterfuge to manipulate his "pawns", often without their knowledge. Bauron's actions lead to the "Thaelixar Kinstrife" as members of the Great House were pitted against each other in a Civil War. The Kinstrife affected many planets and civilizations throughout the Universe. As Bauron's mental state continued to fracture, more and more of his family members turned against him.
In late 2021 AD, the Time Lady Seranahearthfirelunara escaped imprisonment on Menagerie and infiltrated the Imperial Palace, using the Eye of Victory to bring Gallifrey into Terra's orbit. Bauron took control of the Eye of Victory from Serana and linked it to the Eye of Harmony on Gallifrey (the link was strengthened due Gallifrey's close proximity to Terra). Bauron planned to use the Eye-to-Eye link as the "centerpiece" or "lynchpin" of "Rassilon's Ultimate Sanction". The Phoenix and Serana worked together to sever the link between the Eye of Victory and the Eye of Harmony, foiling the Ultimate Sanction. The "snapback" of the link's severing caused Gallifrey to return to it's rightful place. In the chaos caused by Gallifrey dematerializing Bauron managed to escape. With what little support he had left, Bauron fled to the future on a distant planet on the edge of the Milky Way, taking up refuge in the ancient yet mighty fortress known as "The Spire".
From the Spire, Bauron turned to the dark powers of the Empyrean and ascended to Daemonhood. The "Daemon Lord" began breeding an army of Orcs and Daemons to unleash against the Victoran Empire. This plan was ultimately foiled after the Empire managed to capture his fortress during the cataclysmic Battle of the Spire. Unfortunately, Bauron fled once more. Wishing to put an end to his father's madness once and for all and not willing to allow Bauron to settle into a new refuge, the Phoenix lured the Daemonic Time Lord to the war-torn world of Dronid III under the guise of having given up. When Bauron arrived the Phoenix attempted to destroy him with an old Virus Bomb. The Phoenix's plan was successful. While the Phoenix was protected by the powers of the Menti Celesti, the Daemonic Bauron was not so lucky and forced to regenerate. Bauron's regeneration expelled the daemonic corruption and (seemingly) cured him of his madness. Bauron's newly regenerated Eighth Incarnation was taken into the custody of the Celestial Intervention Agency.
Bauron's Seventh Incarnation lasted a total of 202 years. It is unknown what exactly happened to Bauron after he returned to Gallifrey, but a far more sane Thirteenth Incarnation of Bauron was in the service of the High Council of Gallifrey during the Last Great Time War.
'Bauron VII, Demented Renegade'
- Alaric Kesh: Alaric Kesh is the Master of the Aetrian Empire. Alaric has posed such a threat to the Victoran Empire he has been given his own entry separate form the Aetrian Empire. Alaric loathes Phoenix Arcanum above anyone else, for Phoenix's Rebellion lead to the Aetrian Civil War and subsequent decline of the Aetrian Empire. It is this hatred that drives Alaric to destroy the Victoran Empire. This hatred stems from the twos interactions ever since the Elysian War where the two fought in a duel (though it was less of a duel and more Kesh just beating the sh*t out of the Phoenix) before Princess Belrose of Elysia got in between them. During Kesh's brief moment of distraction Arcanum was able to bring his blade down upon Alaric just as the latter began to turn his head back to the fight. The result was Arcanum's blade slashing the right side of Alaric's face; leaving a grizzly scar and irreparably damage his left eye. This was the first time any opponent managed to actually hit Alaric, let alone leave a highly noticeable scar. Much later Alaric engaged in yet another fight with Sora, Grandmaster of the Imperial Assassins. The specifics are unclear, but Alaric was ultimately forced to turn to "dark arts" in order to survive. And while he did indeed survive as well as the scars being easily hidden under clothing, the fact he brushed so close to death and was forced to utilize "dark magic" drove him to even higher levels of anger and hatred. Unfortunately, not only did "black magic" save Alaric's life, it made him far more dangerous as well.
'Alaric Kesh, Lord of a Shattered Empire'
- Aetrian Empire: The Aetrian Empire is a militaristic nation formed by the eponymous Aetrians. The "Proto-Aetrians" were created or genetically modified by an unknown race many millennia ago. The Proto-Aetrians were utilized in massive slave armies and had an innate understanding of warfare seemingly imprinted into their very gene-code. After millennia of servitude, the Proto-Aetrians rebelled and exterminated their masters in the late 18th Century and eventually settled upon the world of Aetria Major, becoming the "modern-day" Aetrians.
The innately militaristic Aetrians formed their own Empire on Aetria Major and began spreading throughout the Milky Way's Outer Arm. In a cruel irony, the Aetrian Empire was build upon the backs of massive slave armies. The most notable of the Aetrians Wars of Conquest was the War against the Elysian Empire. The Aetrians claim that the Elysians where responsible for a terrorist conspiracy that claimed thousands of Aetrian lives including those of the Aetrian Royal Family. The Elysians claim that their involvement in the plot was fabricated by the Aetrians who sought an excuse to invade their world and acquire Anya's Tear, an ancient and powerful superweapon. Regardless of the truth, the Aetrian Empire invades the Elysian Empire and the Elysian War begins.
Through a series of linked events stemming from the Elysian War, the Aetriand could be considered responsible for the creation of the Victoran Empire, the concept of the Enemy, and the Great Crusade. The Aetrian Civil War indirectly caused by the Phoenix's Rebellion combined with their massive losses during the Destruction of Elysia left the Aetrian Empire crippled. In order to preserve their Empire, the Aetrians turned to "darker powers" and now seek to rebuild once great war machine. When the time is right, Aetrian Emperor Alaric plans to strike against the Victoran Empire and bring it to its knees.
'The Aetrian Empire, Superpower in Decline'
- Hammer Britannia: Do I really need to explain why?
- Death Lords and Elder Gods: Great Old Ones are ancient 'deities' that are all that remains of the 'previous universe', a state of reality that existed before the Time Lords created the Web of Time. The Death Lords are unabashedly malevolent Great Old Ones that seek to spread nothing but death and discord to the four corners of creation. While not inherently evil, the Elder Gods meddle in mortal affairs for their own entertainment. The "games" of the Elder Gods are detrimental to the 'greater good' of the Universe and as such the Elder Gods have been classified as 'Enemies'
Death Lords, Phantoms of the Pre-Universe
- Daleks: Daleks are a militaristic race from the planet Skaro. The Daleks are incredibly xenophobic and genocidal, seeking to wipe out any non-Dalek life-form in the Universe. Billions of years ago they fought the Time Lords during the Last Great Time War in Heaven but were ultimately defeated. While the Daleks once posed a major threat, their presence in the Milky Way Galaxy has been significantly reduced as a result of the Sollaria Crusade.
'The Daleks, Hatred Made Manifest'
- Cybermen: The Cybermen are a "race" of cybernetically augmented humanoids. They varied greatly in design, with different factions originating independently by parallel evolution on planets throughout time and space. Some Cybermen were born out of an instinct to survive, others hunger for immortality because their civilisations were dying out and they wanted to survive, and some the intent to "upgrade" themselves and everyone around them.
Despite their many different origins, there were similarities between most groups of Cybermen. For the most part, they lacked individuality or names. Cybermen had no emotions and viewed them as a weakness. They frequently attempted to physically and mentally re-engineer humans and other humanoids into Cybermen, via a process called "cyber-conversion".
Though the Cybermen varied greatly in design over time, the many versions had several things in common. The Cyberman form was known as a Cyber-Suit, a silver body made (almost) entirely of cold metal.
'Cybermen, Silver Horrors'
- Faction Paradox: Faction Paradox is a temporal terrorist organization made up of voodoo cultists. Faction Paradox has it's origins in the 'House of Paradox', a former Great House of Gallifrey. The House of Paradox was banished from Gallifrey for committing "heresy", leading to the creation of Faction Paradox. Despite originally being made up entirely of Gallifreyans, beings from other races have since joined the Faction. Faction Paradox is known for two things; creating paradoxes and performing esoteric voodoo rituals. Members of Faction Paradox are identified by their dark/black robes and skull masks. All-in-all Faction Paradox is pretty creepy.
'Faction Paradox, Temporal Terrorists'
- Skaevos Empire: The Skaevos Empire was formed by a race of sentient combat androids whose prime directive was corrupted by a Daemonic Techno-Virus, causing them to turn on the race that built them, slew them, and took their place as the "True Skaevos Race". Ever since, the robotic Skaevos have followed their twisted goal of conquering the Universe and exterminating organic life. Their Empire has since expanded to the size of a Sector. Despite it's small size is known to instigate conflicts of awesome proportions.
'Skaevos, Mechanical Imperialists'
- Orkoids: Orkoid refers to numerous "Orc-like" species that vary in appearance, culture, and origin. Most Orkoid races are unevolved, savage, and brutal, existing solely to wage war against the rest of the Universe, their love of bloody combat directly encoded into their DnA.
Some Orkoid species evolved "naturally", others were artificially created and/or bred, amd others still are Daemons in Orkoid form.
Only a select-few Orkoid species have evolved past inane violence and are capable of co-existing alongside other civilizations. These rare species are not condemned to "Enemy-status" alongside the rest of their kin.
'Orks, the Savage Horde'
- Sontaran Empire: The Sontarans are a race of belligerent and militaristic clone soldiers from the planet Sontar. The original Sontarans were created by a race known as the Kaveetch. The Sontaran Empire is engaged in an endless war against the rest of the Galaxy (with exceptional hatred directed towards the Rutan Host). They make no effort to change this nor do they ever want peace for they desire nothing more than to partake in glorious combat. Sontarans have also begun developing primitive forms of time travel and are classified as a 'Time Sensitive Species'.
'Sontarans, Clone Warmongers'