The Kingdom of Great Harringrad is a very large, safe nation, notable for its irreverence towards religion, devotion to social welfare, and stringent health and safety legislation. The cynical population of 104 million Great Harringradians are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."
The enormous, moralistic, socially-minded, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Education, and Welfare. The average income tax rate is 66.1%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but sluggish Great Harringradian economy, worth 2.66 trillion dollars a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, fairly diversified black market in Door-to-door Insurance Sales, Beef-Based Agriculture, Woodchip Exports, and Trout Farming. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 25,582 dollars, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
A large-scale revitalization of the education system is underway, all major public areas are watched by police surveillance cameras, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller, and several citizens have complained about scientists abducting their pets for experimentation. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Great Harringrad's national animal is the buffalo, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Great Harringrad's influence in The South Pacific rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Great Harringrad was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Authoritarian and the Top 10% for Most Extreme.
- : Great Harringrad lodged a message on the The South Pacific Regional Message Board.
- : Following new legislation in Great Harringrad, several citizens have complained about scientists abducting their pets for experimentation.
- : Following new legislation in Great Harringrad, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller.
- : Following new legislation in Great Harringrad, all major public areas are watched by police surveillance cameras.
- : Following new legislation in Great Harringrad, a large-scale revitalization of the education system is underway.
- : Great Harringrad was founded in The South Pacific.