The Protectorate of Girelna is a massive, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Lord Protector with an iron fist, and remarkable for its keen interest in outer space, free-roaming dinosaurs, and complete lack of prisons. The compassionate, cynical, cheerful population of 2.458 billion Girelnans are ruled with an iron fist by the socialist government, which grants its people the freedom to do whatever they like so long as it doesn't involve getting richer than anybody else or challenging the government.
The enormous, liberal government juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Administration. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Lords Port. The average income tax rate is 96.2%.
The frighteningly efficient Girel economy, worth 335 trillion Silvermarks a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is highly specialized, is mostly made up of the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Tourism and Book Publishing. Average income is an impressive 136,468 Silvermarks, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Sex education has become an intricate maze of stick figures and complex metaphors, Pangolin is one of the most popular forenames in Girelna, Eau de Trashcan has become a wildly popular perfume, and turning eighteen is often referred to as the 'Age of Aquarius'. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Girelna's national animal is the Pangolin, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Girelna, turning eighteen is often referred to as the 'Age of Aquarius'.
- : Following new legislation in Girelna, Eau de Trashcan has become a wildly popular perfume.
- : Following new legislation in Girelna, Pangolin is one of the most popular forenames in Girelna.
- : Following new legislation in Girelna, sex education has become an intricate maze of stick figures and complex metaphors.
- : Following new legislation in Girelna, unemployed accountants keep double-entry ledgers of their benefit claims.
- : Girelna voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Toxic Heavy Metals Act"".
- : Girelna was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Publishing Industry.
- : Following new legislation in Girelna, the needs of the living outweigh the needs of the dead.
- : Following new legislation in Girelna, relations with Dàguó have warmed from frosty to chilly.
- : Following new legislation in Girelna, the government mails weekly updates on the new anti-junk mail laws to every citizen.
Endorsements Received: 37 » Ransium, Verdant Haven, Ruinenlust, Turbeaux, Novian Republics, Feladria, Anachronolandia, Effazio, Appendia, Atsvea, Middle Barael, Lura, Hyon Delta, Canaltia, Cat-Herders United, Ordand, Ironic Remarks, Simbolon, Garbelia, Crowacia, Einswenn, The Cypher Nine, Daarwyrth, Zerkyr Xiszczy, Doxstern, Ordealius, Jutsa, Democratic Republic of Cacusia, East Skirsburg, Sacara, Blue Nagia, Bunkaiia, Roless, Uniania Geeth, Difinbelk 2, Kyratistani, and New Ladavia.