The government has put out a list of precautionary steps a motorist should take before attempting to cross though the outzones. By it best calculations, the government also notes that taking all of these steps, motorists have an up to 80% chance of making it to the next town alive.
1. Never cross the outzone alone. Go in large groups.
2. Never cross the outzone at night.
3. Make sure your car is in good mechanical shape. If you break down in the outzone you won't survive for very long.
4. Make sure you have a full fuel tank. Take extra fuel if your going a long way. Take food and clothing as well just in case.
5. Make sure the armor on your car is in good repair, and all weapons are fully loaded and in proper working order.
6. If you do get attacked in the outzone, do not hesitate to return fire.