|Leader||President Einar Tammik|
|Faith||Cult of personality|
The Republic of Desange is a massive, orderly nation, ruled by President Einar Tammik with an iron fist, and renowned for its barren, inhospitable landscape, compulsory military service, and stringent health and safety legislation. The hard-nosed, cynical, devout population of 3.112 billion Desangeans are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."
The medium-sized, corrupt, moralistic, socially-minded, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Spirituality, Defense, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Ouverdon. The average income tax rate is 40.0%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The large but underdeveloped Desangean economy, worth 108 trillion lire a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient black market in Arms Manufacturing, Uranium Mining, Pizza Delivery, and Cheese Exports. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 34,874 lire, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Devotion to God is only skin-deep, police officers that upset their bosses get assigned to 24 hour stakeouts of bike sheds, hiding wrinkles with make-up is illegal, and a firework a day does not in fact keep the doctor away. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Desange's national animal is the giraffe, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its national religion is Cult of personality.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Desange was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Cheerful Citizens.
- : Following new legislation in Desange, a firework a day does not in fact keep the doctor away.
- : Following new legislation in Desange, hiding wrinkles with make-up is illegal.
- : Following new legislation in Desange, police officers that upset their bosses get assigned to 24 hour stakeouts of bike sheds.
- : Following new legislation in Desange, devotion to God is only skin-deep.
- : Following new legislation in Desange, terrorist videos start by thanking their sponsors.
- : Desange changed its national faith to "Cult of personality".
- : Desange was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Authoritarian and the Top 10% for Most Devout.
- : Following new legislation in Desange, the government is seen to favor traditionalist religions.
- : Following new legislation in Desange, government-sponsored gallows are being erected by Violetist temples.