The Underground Empire of Demonic Gophers is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Zeek with an even hand, and renowned for its pith helmet sales, compulsory military service, and ban on automobiles. The hard-nosed, humorless, devout population of 13.402 billion Demonic Gophers have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The enormous government prioritizes Defense, with Law & Order, Education, and Healthcare also on the agenda. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Jeth Gar. The average income tax rate is 87.7%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The strong Demgori economy, worth a remarkable 1,208 trillion flower bulbs a year, is highly specialized and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing, Information Technology, and Uranium Mining. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 90,136 flower bulbs, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Bemused citizens are encouraged to sing foreign-language hymns of religions they have never heard of, anyone who so much as frowns risks being referred to a mental health unit, Violetism now admits men and women into its clergy, and police officers spend more time on calisthenics than actually catching criminals. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Demonic Gophers's national animal is the gopher, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Violetism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Demonic Gophers, police officers spend more time on calisthenics than actually catching criminals.
- : Following new legislation in Demonic Gophers, Violetism now admits men and women into its clergy.
- : Following new legislation in Demonic Gophers, anyone who so much as frowns risks being referred to a mental health unit.
- : Demonic Gophers's influence in The Rodent Alliance rose from "Zero" to "Hermit".
- : Demonic Gophers was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Longest Average Lifespans and Most Beautiful Environments.
- : Demonic Gophers altered its national flag.
- : Demonic Gophers relocated from Osiris to The Rodent Alliance.
- : Demonic Gophers founded the region The Rodent Alliance.
- : Demonic Gophers was refounded in Osiris.
- : Demonic Gophers ceased to exist in The Rodent Alliance.