The Misfit Colony of Clis is a massive, orderly nation, ruled by John Davis with an iron fist, and remarkable for its zero percent divorce rate, punitive income tax rates, and stringent health and safety legislation. The hard-nosed, cynical, humorless, devout population of 3.627 billion Clisians are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, moralistic, socially-minded, well-organized government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defense, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Belrod. The average income tax rate is 90.1%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but sluggish Clisian economy, worth 114 trillion Dollars a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, extremely specialized black market in Arms Manufacturing. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. State-owned companies are the norm. Average income is 31,611 Dollars, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Children as young as twelve are conscripted into the armed forces, the tax department is having withdrawal symptoms, it is illegal to distribute Girl Guide Cookies without an advanced food hygiene diploma, and beat cops aren't named for the territory they patrol. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Clis's national animal is the Bear, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Greenism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Clis's influence in Osiris rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Clis's influence in Osiris rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Clis's influence in Osiris rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Clis was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- : Clis was refounded in Osiris.
- : Clis ceased to exist in Kezia.
- : Clis's influence in Kezia fell from "Apprentice" to "Squire".
- : Clis's influence in Kezia rose from "Squire" to "Apprentice".
- : Clis's influence in Kezia rose from "Page" to "Squire".
- : Clis's influence in Kezia rose from "Shoeshiner" to "Page".