The Freehold of Clairmont is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by High Senator Ragnar Thorian with an even hand, and renowned for its unlimited-speed roads, keen interest in outer space, and frequent executions. The hard-nosed, hard-working, humorless population of 28.143 billion Freeholders enjoy extensive civil freedoms, particularly in social issues, while business tends to be more regulated.
The tiny government is effectively ruled by the Department of Defense, although Law & Order is also considered important, while Environment and Spirituality are ignored. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Birhat. The average income tax rate is 1.9%.
The frighteningly efficient Clairmontian economy, worth a remarkable 7,931 trillion gellers a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Uranium Mining, and Book Publishing. Black market activity is notable. Average income is an amazing 281,823 gellers, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.9 times as much as the poorest.
The ongoing space elevator construction project has elevated the national debt to all new levels, no one believes anything until it has been strenuously tested and peer-reviewed, RPG fans reminisce fondly about when people thought they were evil and dangerous rather than geeky and socially inept, and builders across Clairmont are blocked up with orders for new public loos. Crime, especially youth-related, is pervasive, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Clairmont's national animal is the Banecat, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Clairmont was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Highest Unexpected Death Rate and Most Advanced Defense Forces.
- : Clairmont's influence in Lazarus rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Clairmont published "The Cultural Identity of Clairmontian Society (Post. First Interstellar War)" (Factbook: Culture).
- : Following new legislation in Clairmont, builders across Clairmont are blocked up with orders for new public loos.
- : Clairmont's influence in Lazarus rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Clairmont changed its national nation type to "Freehold".
- : Clairmont changed its national animal to "Banecat", its currency to "geller", its demonym to "Freeholder", its leader to "High Senator Ragnar Thorian", and its motto to "Per aspera ad astra".
- : Clairmont altered its national flag.
- : Clairmont published "General Overview of the Freehold of Clairmont" (Factbook: Overview).
- : Following new legislation in Clairmont, RPG fans reminisce fondly about when people thought they were evil and dangerous rather than geeky and socially inept.