The Gran Marca Espanola of Catalpha is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by HRH Prince Felipe de Borbón with an even hand, and remarkable for its museums and concert halls, national health service, and anti-smoking policies. The compassionate, devout population of 14.527 billion Catalphans have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Welfare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Miramonte. The average income tax rate is 88.8%.
The large but inefficient Catalphan economy, worth 776 trillion Occitan Euros a year, is extremely specialized and solely comprised of the Book Publishing industry. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 53,449 Occitan Euros, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 4.3 times as much as the poorest.
Political parties are banned from advertising and receiving private donations, school uniforms are compulsory, dog breeding has been banned in accordance with recent animal experimentation laws, and postmen have been arrested in job lots for selling junk mail as home insulation. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Catalpha's national animal is the Spanish Eagle, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Catalpha was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Governments.
- : Catalpha altered its national flag.
- : Catalpha was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- : Catalpha was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Foreign Aid Spending.
- : Catalpha's influence in Occitania fell from "Superpower" to "Powerbroker".
- : Catalpha's influence in Occitania rose from "Shoeshiner" to "Superpower".
- : Catalpha relocated from Lazarus to Occitania.
- : Catalpha was refounded in Lazarus.
- : Catalpha ceased to exist in Occitania.
- : Catalpha's influence in Occitania rose from "Eminence Grise" to "Powerbroker".