Seal (left) and Coat of Arms (right)
Motto: "Desdividettía e Desparratettía."
"Indivisible and Inseparable."
Location in Brutland and Norden
Coordinates: 30°45'47"S 143°45'3"E
Country: Brutland and Norden
Province: Union Territories
- Mayor: Girolamo Sartori (PDS)
Area: 6,884 km² (2,658 mi²)
- 2014 Census: 8,029,303
- Density: 1,167.05 persons/km²
Demonym: Kingsviller (Vilòstrense)
Time Zone: B&NST (UTC +8, TSP -4)
FdM Code: EDU
Zip Code: EU001-EU0023
Dialling Code: +01
Patron Saint: Saint Regine
Saint Day: September 7
Kingsville (Nord-Brutlandese: Vilòstresa) is the capital and second-largest city in Brutland and Norden. It is the seat of the monarchy, the executive, and the government, and most nationwide organizations and companies have presence in the city. As such, it is considered one of the most important cities in Brutland and Norden.
3.2 Revolt of 1315
3.3 The Revolution
3.6 Union Island Politics
4.2 City Council
7.2 As Capital
7.3 Industrial Revolution
9.1 Monuments and Squares
11.1 Primary Education
11.2 Higher Education
15 Sister Cities
Vilòstresa occupies the southeastern third of Union Island. The central mountains of Union Island form its natural western border, while the northern border partially follows the island’s northern mountain range. The city faces the Union Channel (Canalo Unnona) to the east, while the Strait of Crab Rocks (Strito di Crabbòpietro) separates it from the island of Tonzivibbia to the south.
Kingsville is somewhat hilly and mountainous. There are flat plains to the southeast and north, though the centre, south, and east are hilly. The districts of Gianicolina and Santo Thorizio sit on hilly ground, while the district of Sant’Garzana is separated from the city proper by the high steep hills of the Ollinu di Sant’Garzana. The districts of La Pascu and Campòllina, as their names suggest, also sit on high ground.
There are hills on the center of the city, most notably where the Royal Palace sits, the Hill of Kings (Ollino Stresuque).
The northern third of the city is separated from the rest by the Santa Carolina River, which originates inside the city limits, in the district of Campòllina. South of the valley was a former swampland, which had since been drained. The city centre sits on this former swampland. To the southeast, the Moon River (Fiumo Luna) traverses canyons inside Moon Canyon Park.
- North: Garbatella, Brascasso, Santa Chiara, Carentano, Passo Dozòllino
West: Pecorara, Graminata, Santa Rossa Superiore, Bagnara, Palombara di Laurentina, La Cascado, Moncucco, San Prospero, San Lamberto di la Ternato, Santarcangèlo di la Ternato, Scheggia, Pietracarda, Santa Carmela al Mare
This article is is part of a series on the
Politics and Government of
Brutland and Norden
Reigning Monarch: King Kyle II
Nobility of Brutland and Norden
Orders and Decorations
Judiciary of Brutland and Norden
Districts of Kingsville
Kingsville is divided into 24 citos, or districts/boroughs, which is in turn divided into neighborhoods:
1. Settra – contains the city centre and the Royal Palace.
2. Cito Tanda – covers much of the old town of Piscinadoro.
3. Cumunoíe – literally means “swampland”; this is the swamp that has been drained in the Middle ages and is now occupied by parts of the business district.
4. Providenza – the main business district of Kingsville.
5. Tarrantasca – located south of Royal Hill, it also contains parts of the business district. It is a gentrified district home to high-rise high-end condominiums and apartments.
6. La Banchine – the port of Kingsville is located in this district, and as such, has a concentration of warehouses and light to medium industry.
7. Citograbba – the nucleus of the Kingsvillian industry and the haven of its working class, Citograbba has a dense concentration of moderate to heavy industries .
8. Cito Nuova – developed in the early 1900s, the “New Town” features modern buildings and edifices.
9. Pisciettu – along with Citograbba, Pisciettu is also home to industries and its workers.
10. L'Iorgàcqua – formerly at the site of the spring and of a Roman aqueduct, “the Waterworks” is now occupied by old industries.
11. Alessandria – developed in the 1950s, Alessandria expanded from a small village to a town with a suburban feel but still within the capital.
12. Sant'Garzana – most of the foreign embassies are located in this secluded section of the capital
13. Parco Cannono Luna – this natural preserve is located within city limits. Moon Canyon Park is technically part of the royal domain and is a royal hunting ground.
14. Universitade – the Royal University of Brutland and Norden – Kingsville is the anchor for this district. Many other institutions are located here, such as the Royal Children’s Hospital, Kingsville General Hospital, and the Brutland and Norden Advanced Research Center.
15. La Pascu – located high in the western mountains, La Pascu is the “Gateway to Kingsville” as the main mountain pass into Kingsville is located here. This is a mainly residential area built around the former village of Montitano.
16. Campòllina – military installations are located here, notably the Campòllina Military Base.
17. Valbuona – located on the valley along the banks of the Santa Carolina River, this district is primarily residential.
18. Santa Carolina – located downstream from Valbuona, on the mouth of the Santa Carolina River, this district is a combined residential/industrial area. The industries in the area are usually light and high-tech industries.
19. Gianicolina – the steep forested hills above Kingsville is occupied by scattered clusters of settlements and buildings, this is the other high-end residential area of Kingsville. The district of Gianicolina is connected to Kingsville via the Saint Christine’s Bridge (Ponto Santa Cristina) over the Santa Carolina River.
20. San Canico – this former suburb grew out of the village of San Canico as a bedroom community, and is thus primarily residential.
21. Ascene d'Elie – literally means “Sun’s Ascent”, or sunrise, Ascene d’Elie is a mixed residential/industrial district. High-tech firms are also located here.
22. Santo Thorizio – like San Canico, Santo Thorizio is a residential former suburb.
23. Costale – as its name suggests, it is a coastal district, a mixed residential-industial suburb.
24. San Lamberto – a largely residential suburb created in 1997 out of parts of the districts of La Pascu, L’Iorgàcqua and Alessandria.
Chroniclers during the contemporary Roman period did not report any settlement in the area of present-day Kingsville, though it is possible that small villages existed in the area during the time. The earliest written record was a church record, dated to the year 487, from the archives of the Bishopric of Sant’Erico, which states that the villages to the island to the east fall under its jurisdiction. Union island was then known as Barrenechea, or “Barren Rocks”.
The area of present-day Kingsville appeared consistently in the historical record from the year 604, when the lords of Moncucco (a village to the east, just outside city limits) exerted control over the area. The area was predominantly rural and is composed of good farmland, with a few villages. The villages known to exist in the area include Santa Carolina, Tarrantasca, Crabbòpietro, Sant’Garzana, Alessandria, Piscinadoro, Santo Thorizio, San Bernardo, Montitano, and San Canico. These eastern villages, along with the cluster of villages to the north (Garbatella, Santarrigo, Piscinellese, Carentano, Santa Chiara, Brascasso, San Felix, La Mareo, Santa Patrizia) were known to be fiercely loyal to the lords of Moncucco, unlike the villages to the west, on the western side of the mountains. The eastern villages consistently supported the lords of Moncucco, who were in control of much of Union Island during the pre-Union era. For example, during the Laurentine revolts of 1112, the eastern villages helped the Lord of Moncucco retain control. The only eastern village to switch sides was Montitano, which was quickly overrun by loyalists from neighboring San Bernardo and San Prospero.
Like the lords of Moncucco, the eastern villages were more comfortable under the Brute sphere of influence, partly because they were afraid of and angered by the exorbitant tributes that were intermittently being levied upon them by the Cantabris and the Dennlanders. The Brutes were the Cantabris’ and the Dennlanders’ rivals, and as such, Barrenechea was partial to the Brutes.
The hamlet of Montitano and its belfry,
where a crucial battle as fought.
Revolt of 1315
This Brutophilia caused the only successful revolt in Barrenechea. Ironically, it was the eastern villages that led the revolt against the Lady of Moncucco. Two of the three daughters of Giustino III held a different opinion than their subjects. Lady Doria of Moncucco, heir to the lordship, refused to marry Prince Knut of Brutland, the preferred suitor by Giustino III and the people of Barrenechea. Lady Doria ultimately jumped from a cliff, now called Suicide Ridge (Ternato Secruta), which is now located within Kingsville City limits.
Lady Lara, Doria’s sister, and the now next-in-line to the lordship, was more belligerent. She married Prince Giorgio of Cantabrica, against her father’s and her subjects’ wishes. Shortly later, Lord Giustino III died in mysterious circumstances before he could deny Lara her inheritance. Thus, Giorgio and Lara were able to assume control over the island. The excessive demands and taxes they placed on their subjects and their perceived indifference and contempt of their subjects, coupled with the inherent anti-Cantabri sentiments of the people, proved to be an explosive recipe for a revolt. On September 1315, the eastern villages, led by Piscinadoro and Santarrigo, staged a revolt that swept through the island. Lady Lara and Lord Giorgio narrowly missed being ambushed in the village of Palombara di Laurentina; they were unable to return to their castle when even Moncucco rebelled. They escaped Barrenechea through the port of Barcolenga. The Barrenecheans installed the youngest daughter of Giustino, Lady Sara, then just fourteen years of age, as the Lady of Moncucco.
The Cantabris launched an expedition in an attempt to retake the island they had recently incorporated into their shrinking domains. After neutralizing a similar revolt in Liparegna, they landed near Alessandria in April 1318. The Cantabris managed to occupy Alessandria, Crabbòpietro, and Tarrantasca. However, the Cantabris were decisively defeated in the Battle of Piscinadoro, after the Barrenecheans routed the invaders into the swamps of Cumunoíe. The Brutes had then also opened hostilities with the Cantabris, culminating with the Cantabris’ loss of the lower Tiberio valley (now the grant of Nicoletano). The resulting peace settlement put Barrenechea and Liparegna in the Brute sphere of influence. Lady Sara married the Crown Prince of Brutland. Their second son, Giustino, became the lord of Moncucco, with Brutland allowing Barrenechea to remain independent. The Cantabricans were never much of a threat, and the lords of Moncucco continued to govern the island for more than five centuries.
Siege of Tercellese
The ideas of the Nordener revolution also trickled into the island, fuelled by Nordener agitators. Berríalva, Stampione, and Fiorgamino already fell to the revolution via the same methods. But unlike its northern neighbors, Barrenechea had the ready support of the Brutes. On July 1726, a vanguard of partisans, supported by Nordener volunteers and veterans, marched up along the Laurentina Valley, a known hotbed of revolts against the lords of Moncucco. One by one, towns along the valley switched sides, though some resisted: the town of Santa Rossa di Laurentina remained loyal and was subsequently besieged, looted, and sacked by the partisans. Lord Giustino V of Moncucco asked for Brute help. The Brutes and the easterners loyal to the local noble defeated the Nordeners in the Battle of Moncucco, preventing the Nordener Revolution from spreading to the eastern part of the island. The loyalists conquered the valley town by town, culminating in the siege of Tercellese. To save Tercellese’s inhabitants, the partisans and the local leader surrendered the town and promised to pay an annual indemnity to the eastern towns victorious in the siege. Up to this day, Tercellese pays the indemnity to 12 of the towns; most of the remaining towns had since formed Kingsville. Tercellese and Kingsville signed an agreement in 1952 that Kingsville’s share of the annual indemnity would be abolished in exchange for building the capital’s airport in Tercellese. Moncucco, Palombara di Laurentina, Garbatella, Brascasso, Santarrigo, and Piscinellese also voluntarily gave up the annual indemnity for the new airport.
Since then, Barrenechea was not particularly affected by the Brutland-Norden war, though it served as the embarkation points of Brute armies headed to the Norden front.
Barrenechea remained an independent Channel Island, unlike its neighbors: Piscierettu and Librugnie were incorporated into Norden, while the rest were annexed by Brutland. So when King Adam III of Brutland and Queen Adrienne of Norden searched for an unbiased location for their coronation, they looked to Barrenechea. Lord Giustino V, with the support of his subjects, allowed his island to be absorbed into the future Nord-Brutlandese domain, under the condition that he be allowed to retain his powers. King Adam III and Queen Adrienne selected the town of Piscinadoro, then one of the largest towns in the island. They were married on the town’s feast day, September 7, 1759, in the Church of Santa Regina (now a cathedral). They returned two years later, on September 07, 1761, for their coronation. One of the young monarchs’ first acts was the proclamation of Piscinadoro as their capital city, with the consent of Lord Giustino V. In response, the citizens of Piscinadoro renamed their town Vilòstresa (Kingsville; more accurately, Monarch-ville).
La Palazzo Reala (the Royal Castle)
Since its designation as the capital of the United Kingdom of Brutland and Norden, the island of Piscinadoro continued to grow. A royal palace was built on a hill above the town, and various buildings were built.
In 1780, the lord of Moncucco formally ceded to the Nord-Brutlandese crown the town of Piscinadoro and its environs. This donation extended to the entire island in 1810 when the Lady Giustina of Moncucco, only child of Lord Giustino VI, married Crown Prince Chester of Brutland and Norden, thereby merging the crowns and lands of Moncucco and Brutland and Norden. In 1820, King Chester the Pious hired English-Timberlander architect Malcolm MacKenzie to make plans for the capital. MacKenzie’s plan was largely implemented, with support by the people of Kingsville, as the burgeoning population made Kingsville a crowded maze of alleyways and roads.
MacKenzie decongested the city by building two wide thoroughfares: the north-south Brutland Avenue, and the east-west Norden Avenue. The two wide roads ascend the Royal Hill and form a square roundabout, with the Royal Palace in the middle. A gridlike pattern of streets were also superimposed on most of the undeveloped areas; parks, open spaces, and plazas were constructed, and works of art and new buildings were erected.
The swamplands south of the Santa Carolina River were drained, giving more free space and ridding the city of malaria. In this area, more magnificent buildings were erected.
Kingsville, apart from being the capital of the unified kingdom, was also the seat of the grant of Barrenechea, which had since been renamed Union Island. Its neighboring villages and towns had also grown so much that a need to unify the administration of the area was realized. In 1940, the Nord-Brutlandese Parliament passed a law providing for the amalgamation of Kingsville and its neighbors into a unified capital. The law stated that a referendum will be held to determine which towns, hamlets, and villages would be willing to be and would be attached to Kingsville. Of the 116 communities considered for union, only 33 approved of the concept: Alessandria, Biancafiore del Monte, Campòverta, Cazzada Nuova, Cedrasco, Cortenuova, Crabbòpietro, La Castione, Malenco, Mastallone, Monterone, Montitano, Palombara di Stresu, Pietrabianca, Pisciettu, Ponteranica, Providenza, Réinzòpendecca, Roccasicura, San Bernardo, San Canico, San Lamberto, Santa Bruna, Santa Carolina, Santa Cristina, Santa Monica, Sant’Garzana, Santo Thorizio, Sant’Uldarico, Tarrantasca, Tavernole Superiore, Vilògrabba, and Kingsville itself. The 32 communities and Kingsville were unified into one city, the present-day Kingsville. The unified city occupied the part of the island east of the Central Mountains and south of the Northern Range. There were four communities who refused to be part of the unified capital and thus became virtual enclaves or near-enclaves of the capital. All were subsequently integrated: Sant’Iria di la Ternato voted itself into Kingsville in 1952, the town council of Belmonte del Sasso attached their town in 1968, while Tavernole Inferiore and Girasola were forcibly amalgamated by an act of the Nord-Brutlandese Parliament in 1984.
Mayor of Kingsville, Girolamo Sartori.
Under the Kingsville Act of 1940, Kingsville is entitled to a popularly-elected lord mayor, just like any municipality. Also like other municipalities in the Union Territories, Kingsville has a strong mayor form of government, with the mayor being able to appoint department heads and works full-time as municipal administrator.
The current lord mayor is Girolamo Sartori of the Social Democratic Party, who was reelected to another four-year term in 2009.
The maximum size of a city council in the Union Territories is 50, but the Kingsville Act of 1940 set an exception for the capital. The Kingsville City Council (Consellio Civita di Vilòstresa) is composed of 150 councilors elected for two-year terms. As such, the City Council resembles legislatures, with the ability to formulate and approve city ordinances, review laws and executive actions, draw the annual budget, and block appointments.
The city council is currently controlled by a coalition of Social Democrats and Greens, with Rachele Cadorna-Matarazzo (PDS: Ascene d’Elie) serving as the head of the council.
Kingsville is composed of a mixture of architectural styles. The centers of the old towns and villages that formed Kingsville retain their medieval look. The district of Cito Tanda (the old village of Piscinadoro) still maintains its cobblestoned streets and medieval-styled houses. One of the more famous medieval structures is occupied by the Royal Nord-Brutlandese House of Lords, located in the district of Cumunoíe. The building of the House of Lords is in the center of the old village of Ponteranica, and used to be the village’s church. In parts of the district of Gianicolina (the old villages of Pietrabianca and Tavernole Superiore), there remained houses carved directly into the hillsides.
The Nord-Brutlandese General Court
The city centre and Cumunoíe are built in Neoclassical styles. Examples include the Royal Palace, the Nord-Brutlandese General Court, and the City Hall.
Modern and Post-modern architectural styles can be found in the newer areas of Kingsville. The capital’s central business district in Providenza and the affluent Tarrantasca district showcase most of the city’s numerous skyscrapers. The Cito Nuova district has some of the capitals more modern – and more unique – structures. The Piazzo di Friede features some bizarre temporary and permanent sculptures. One of its permanent attractions includes La Malo Oronocía, a fountain of a urinating boy located in a grotto at the side of the Cito Nuova Borough Center.
The skyline of Kingsville is dominated by the high-rise skyscrapers of Providenza and Cumunoíe, and the Royal Hill.
Kingsville is a city with many open spaces and big parks. Kingsville plazas/squares (piazzas) typically are centres of activity and are as popular as shopping malls, among both the young and the old. The Piazzo di Fontanu (Square of Fountains), in front of the City Hall, is the center of the Cumunoíe district. Also among the big open spaces include the Piazzo d’Unnone (Union Square), in front of the General Court; the Piazzo di Rinno Kail la Malenetto (King Kyle the Fair Square), located in the heart of Kingsville’s financial district; and the Cancello di la Sole (Gate of the Sun), which is the only remnant of Piscinadoro’s town walls. Most of the old villages and towns, such as Ponteranica and Cedrasco, still maintain their village squares.
Green spaces also abound; the Parco Cannono Luna (Moon Canyon Park) is one of the largest municipal parks in the kingdom. Half of the land area of La Pascu is dedicated to protected areas, wildlife parks, and royal preserves. Other parks include the Giardino d’Amore (Garden of Love), a popular trysting place; and the conversely-named Parco di la Brezècuorettu (Park of the Broken-hearted), where countless despondents (usually due to love issues) crash and die after jumping from the aptly-named Ternato Secruta (Suicide Ridge) located above the Parco di la Brezècuorettu.
Skyline of the Providenza CBD, as seen
from Suicide Ridge.
As its name suggests, Piscinadoro was mainly a fishing village, with fisherfolk casting their nets in the Union Channel to sometimes as far as the Blue Sea. Crabbòpietro also lives up to its name as a village dependent on crabs and crustaceans.
The inland villages, such as Providenza, Alessandria, and Santo Thorizio, were surrounded by rich farmland. Contrary to popular perception, pockets of Union Island still contain farmed land, such as around the hamlet of Pecorara, located just outside Kingsville.
The inhabitants of the villages of the hills, such as Sant’Uldarico and Tavernole Superiore, lived on shepherding and cheese making. As a result of this specialization, trade was extensive early on. There were weekly Saturday markets in Providenza and Wednesday markets in Ponteranica, where people from the different villages come down to trade their produce. This was also an important institution where information was exchanged and cohesion between the eastern villages was achieved.
With the declaration of Piscinadoro as the capital of a newly-united country and its renaming to Kingsville, nobles and their servants, along with other industries, businesses, and occupations associated with a typical Nord-Brutlandese castle town, brought new life into the region. Kingsville had the benefits and drawbacks of a capital and castle town. The economy diversified, and eventually Kingsville moved away from fishing and focused on being the capital of a large kingdom.
As the capital and the center of the country, it also became the center of commerce and government activity. Many kingdom-wide businesses have their headquarters here. Most government agencies are also based in Kingsville.
Many of the heavy polluting industries had since moved out of the capital, being replaced with high-tech and manufacturing industries. With a robust and a diversified economy, Kingsville had been protected from most of the economic turbulences throughout Brutland and Norden’s united history. It has the second lowest unemployment rate of any major city, after Brutland City.
Kingsville is one of the centers of culture in Brutland and Norden.
There are many art galleries in Kingsville. The Museo Reala (Royal Museum) has an diverse art collection, and the Museo Reala d’Artu Moderna (MRAM; Royal Museum of Modern Art) showcases modern and contemporary art. Nord-Brutlandese artists typically hold exhibitions at the MRAM.
There is a Cosservatorio Reala (Royal Conservatory), a bastion of classical music and classical performing arts. Located in front of the Cancello di la Sole, it is adjacent to the Biblotecà Reala (Royal Archives) and the Ministry of Culture.
Kingsville also holds an annual rock concert event at the Cancello di la Sole during the last week of July. However, the Stampione Festive di Rock is more popular and more visible.
Aside from the national holidays, all but four of Kingsville’s districts hold their own festi (festivals/celebrations) to honor the district’s patron saint. For example, La Pascu holds its feste on July 4, on the feast day of Saint Ulrich. Saint Ulrich is the patron saint of the village of Sant’Uldarico and of the district. The other villages and neigborhoods may also hold their own celebrations. The former hamlet of Sant’Iria di la Ternato, also in the district of La Pascu, holds another feste in October 20 to honor its patron saint, Saint Irene. Such festi include all-day celebrations, parades, processions, and eating.
Kingsville has a buzzing nightlife, centered in the districts of Cito Nuova and Tarrantasca. Popular partying places include the seaside Tordòlucho neighborhood, in the district of Cito Nuova, located just below the old lighthouse hill. In the district of Settra, La Strando, also known as “the Strip”, is Kingsville’s largest beach area and has recently become more popular for partygoers, especially at night. The capital also has a buzzing gay neigborhood in Tarrantasca Tanda (Old Tarrantasca), known colloquially as “Tarrantanda”. This was the center of the former village of Tarrantasca, where its old inhabitants were gradually replaced by the increasingly visible and assertive Kingsville LGBT community. Just beside Tarrantasca Tanda, the neighborhood of Carazzo is a known red-light district.
Monuments and Squares
Cancello di Sole (Gate of the Sun)
Boscio di Verite (Mouth of Truth)
Fontano di Nettuno (Fountain of Neptune)
Giardino d’Amore (Garden of Love)
Giardino Botania Reala (Royal Botanic Gardens)
Parco Cannono Luna (Moon Canyon Park)
Piazzo di Fontanu (Square of Fountains)
Piazzo di Friede (Freedom Square)
Piazzo di Rinno Kail la Malenetto (King Kyle the Fair Square)
Piazzo Ponteranichense (Ponteranican Square)
Biblotecà Reala (Royal Archives)
Caso di Nobilettu (House of Nobles)
Hotel Granda di Vilòstresa (Grand Hotel of Kingsville)
La Castione (old royal palace)
Palazzo Cristallo (Crystal Palace)
Palazzo Reala (Royal Palace)
Pantéone Nordèbrutelliense (Nord-Brutlandese Pantheon)
Museo Reala (Royal Museum)
Museo Reala d’Artu Moderna (Royal Museum of Modern Art)
Mueso Rena Maria (Queen Maria Museum)
Tordo Vilòstresa (Kingsville Tower)
Zoo Reala Vilòstrense (Royal Kingsville Zoo)
Basilicà di Nostro Simore di Paze (Basilica of Our Lady of Peace)
Cattedralo di Santa Regina (Saint Regina’s Cathedral)
Cattedralo di Sant’Garzana (Saint Garzan’s Cathedral)
Chierco di San Bernardo (Saint Bernard’s Church)
Chierco di San Lamberto (Saint Lambert’s Chirch)
Capiglio di Santo Bricco (Saint Bryce’s Church)
Capiglio di Sant’Uldarico (Saint Ulrich’s Church)
Capiglio di San Kail (Saint Kyle’s Church)
The Basilica of Our Lady of Peace
(Basilicà di Nostro Simore di Paze)
Corso Unnone (Union Avenue)
la Reinzo Scoltecca di Biancafiore del Monte (the Carved Hamlet of Biancafiore del Monte)
L’Abordammino (The Boardwalk)
La Strando (The Beach)
Reinzòpendeccà (Hanging Hamlet)
Kingsville is home to teams competing in every major sport in Brutland and Norden, with all bearing the names Nobilettu (Nobles). Its (European) football/soccer team has its base at the Stadio Universitade while its (American) football team is based in the Stadio di Tarrantasca. It also has an ice hockey team (Ghiaccoío Granda di Vilòstresa), a basketball team (Strodomo d’Alessandria), and a volleyball team (Arena Vilòstrense).
Public education in Brutland and Norden is free and compulsory from the age of 6 to 18. There is a well-developed network of public schools in Kingsville, administered by the Tabellone d’Eddicchione per la Civito di Vilòstresa (Board of Education for the City of Kingsville) under the control of the City Council and with the supervision of the federal Ministry of Education.
There are also private primary and secondary schools in Kingsville, the most prestigious is the all-girls Academio di Santa Maria (Saint Mary’s Academy) and its all-boys counterpart, the Academio di San Pietro (Saint Peter’s Academy). Both are being run by the religious order of the Society of Jesus.
Kingsville is also a center for higher learning. The Universitade Reala di Norden e Marchòbrutellia al Vilòstresa (URNMbV; Royal University of Brutland and Norden at Kingsville) is one of the largest and one of the most prestigious center for tertiary education in Brutland and Norden. Occupying about one-third of the Universitade district, the URNMbV offers almost all undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate courses. It has a student population of 100,000 and a staff of 20,000. Most of its programs are located in its Kingsville-Universitade campus, such as the Colleges of Law, Fine Arts, Economics, Humanities, Theology, Engineering, Sciences, Journalism & Literature, Architecture, Information Science & Technology, and Education. It benefits from the proximity of institutions such as the Stiutto Reala per Richerchi Avanza (Royal Institute for Advanced Research) and the cultural resources of the capital. However, most of the biomedical colleges, such as the Colleges of Medicine and Public Health, are located in Castagnole, in near proximity with the Royal Hospital of Brutland and Norden and the Royal Institutes of Health. Also, studies related to agriculture and veterinary medicine is hosted by the Pecorara campus. Both the Pecorara and Castagnole campuses are easily accessible from Kingsville.
Since basic healthcare in Brutland and Norden is free, Kingsville maintains a network of city hospitals. Kingsville General Hospital is located in the district of Tarrantasca, and there are many other hospitals and smaller clinics serving the entire city. Unlike the other hospitals in the capital, Spedalo Starduque Reala (Royal Children’s Hospital) is a part of the federally-funded tertiary hospital system and is directly under the Ministry of Health.
Kingsville is connected to the Union Island Road Network. Union Island Route 1, also known as the Vio Circufferenza di Esolo d’Unnone (Union Island Circumferential Road), passes north-south through Kingsville as the Ridgeside Highway.
Kingsville’s other main north-south thoroughfare is the eight-lane Brutland Avenue. It enters Kingsville city limits via the Gallerio di Garbatella (Garbatella Tunnel). It then passes through the districts of Santo Thorizio, Ascene d’Elie, Costale, Santa Carolina, Settra, Providenza, Tarrantasca, Citograbba, L’Iorgàcqua, and Alessandria. Brutland Avenue continues to Tonzivibbia via the undersea Kingsville Tunnel, connecting the capital to its airport.
Norden Avenue and Union Avenue are the other eight-lane avenues in Kingsville, with both extending in an east-west direction.
King Kyle I International Airport
Kingsville is served by two major airports. Domestic flights land at Tercellese Domestic Airport in Tercellese, a one-hour drive from the center of Kingsville and a fifteen-minute ride on the bullet train. Tercellese used to host all flights for Kingsville and Union Island, but due to the increase in the utilization of air transport and the consequent exceeding of Tercellese’s capacity, a new airport had to be built.
Kingsville’s newer airport, the Aeròporto Internaziona di Rinno Kail I (ApIRKI; King Kyle I International Airport) was built to address this need. Located in Dorzano in the neighboring grant of Tonzivibbia, ApIRKI hosts the international flights for Kingsville and the Union Territories. It is connected to Kingsville via the undersea Alessandria Tunnel and the suspension Tonzivibbian Bridge. Both the Alessandria Tunnel and Tonzivibbian Bridge rank as one of the longest structures in Brutland and Norden. The airport is also connected to Kingsville’s Metro system (see below).
The two airports combined handle an estimated 1 billion passengers per year, making it one of the busiest airports.
- Main Article: Kingsville Metro
Union Island and Kingsville has an extensive Metro system. Given the geography of the city, the major metro lines run north-south. There are four major north-south lines: the Blue Line (Aeròporto-Sant’Albano al Mare), the Red Line (Castelspina-Colegio), the Green Line (Piscinellese-L’Ozere), and the Yellow Line (San Bernardo-Santa Bruna). There is one major east-west line (Tercellese-Juttisse) connecting Kingsville to the western half of the island, and also connects the capital to its domestic airport.
The Metro system serves most of Union Island, but the system is much more developed in the capital. In fact, the entire Metro system is underground with the city limits. There are 165 subway stations within city limits, and an additional three more (Aeròporto, Dorzano, and San Leonardo) are under the auspices of the City of Kingsville Department of Transportation.
Water supply to Kingsville and Union Island primarily comes from underground aquifers and the Laurentina Dam, just outside city limits. There are three pumping stations in Kingsville, in the districts of Cumunoíe, Alessandria, and Gianicolina. The pump at Cumunoíe serves a dual purpose: aside from drawing water for the city’s use, it also facilitates continuous drainage of the former swampland.
Kingsville and the rest of Union Island get two-thirds of its electricity from nuclear power, specifically from the Santa Fabiola-Cerdagnola Nuclear Power Plant. The remainder of the energy requirements is supplied by energy recovered from the incineration of the nonbiodgradable nonrecyclable residual city garbage (Sammartino Facility), hydroelectric power (Laurentina Dam), and a coal-fired power plant (Borriana Power Plant).
Kingsville is twinned with: