The Federation of Belgaam is a colossal, efficient nation, renowned for its prohibition of alcohol, compulsory military service, and suspicion of poets. The hard-nosed, cynical, humorless, devout population of 5.49 billion Belgaamians are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.
The enormous, corrupt government juggles the competing demands of Spirituality, Education, and Industry. The average income tax rate is 86.4%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The all-consuming Belgaamian economy, worth 596 trillion Fanoas a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized, quite specialized black market in Information Technology, Arms Manufacturing, Tourism, and Uranium Mining. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is an impressive 108,587 Fanoas, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.1 times as much as the poorest.
A sudden shout of "surprise!" does not herald a party for teachers, hospitals in Belgaam are too busy serving the needs of Osiris to see Belgaamians, children have lost interest in toy guns in favor of toy meth lab kits, and pandemics are over and done with by the time it takes to pass the nation's stringent border security. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Belgaam's national animal is the Pinklinkas, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Belgaam was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Longest Average Lifespans.
- : Belgaam's influence in Osiris rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Belgaam was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- : Belgaam was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Inclusive.
- : Belgaam was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Information Technology Sector.
- : Belgaam was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Average Tax Rates and the Top 10% for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- : Belgaam's influence in Osiris rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Belgaam's influence in Osiris rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Belgaam's influence in Osiris rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Belgaam's influence in Osiris rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".