The Dictatorship of Back Country is a small, environmentally stunning nation, remarkable for its state-planned economy, irreverence towards religion, and punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, cynical population of 29 million Back Countryians are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up.
The enormous, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Healthcare, and Defense. The average income tax rate is 56.5%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The Back Countryian economy, worth 902 billion tokens a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient black market in Beef-Based Agriculture, Automobile Manufacturing, Gambling, and Cheese Exports. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 31,110 tokens, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.1 times as much as the poorest.
Elections have been outlawed, Back Country is notorious for its citizens' infidelity, scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes, and ice-filled coffins are ominously positioned in the corner of every hospital ward. Crime is almost non-existent, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Back Country's national animal is the Chicken, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Back Country, ice-filled coffins are ominously positioned in the corner of every hospital ward.
- : Back Country's influence in The South Pacific rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Back Country was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Workforce Participation Rate.
- : Back Country changed its national motto to "We're Growing in Back Country!".
- : Following new legislation in Back Country, scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes.
- : Following new legislation in Back Country, Back Country is notorious for its citizens' infidelity.
- : Back Country published "Back Country Policy" (Account: Other).
- : Following new legislation in Back Country, elections have been outlawed.
- : Following new legislation in Back Country, the alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit.
- : Following new legislation in Back Country, young children are regularly seen wagering pocket money at blackjack tables.