The Free city of Athaton is a massive, efficient nation, renowned for its pith helmet sales, frequent executions, and absence of drug laws. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 2.126 billion Athatonians are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
The tiny, pro-business, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Administration, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Athaton. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 5.0%.
The all-consuming Athatonian economy, worth 198 trillion Talents a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Retail industry, with significant contributions from Arms Manufacturing, Soda Sales, and Information Technology. Average income is 93,144 Talents, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 438,442 per year while the poor average 11,758, a ratio of 37.3 to 1.
Commuter vessels have trouble staying afloat due to increased passengers, sleep-deprived officials are known to collapse after late night revision for their examinations, a death threat has replaced 'hello' as an official greeting in the nation, and nature magazines featuring stick insects on their covers are sometimes mistaken for fashion magazines. Crime, especially youth-related, is pervasive, probably because of the absence of a police force. Athaton's national animal is the Pheonix, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Athaton's influence in The Warden World rose from "Vassal" to "Truckler".
- : Athaton's influence in The Warden World rose from "Apprentice" to "Vassal".
- : Athaton's influence in The Warden World rose from "Squire" to "Apprentice".
- : Athaton published "Full psych econ" (Factbook: Economy).
- : Athaton published "Full psych" (Factbook: Miscellaneous).
- : Athaton's influence in The Warden World rose from "Hatchling" to "Squire".
- : Athaton relocated from Lazarus to The Warden World.
- : Athaton was refounded in Lazarus.
- : Athaton ceased to exist in The Warden World.
- : Athaton's influence in The Warden World fell from "Apprentice" to "Squire".