The Republic of Aresten is a massive, genial nation, renowned for its keen interest in outer space, daily referendums, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate, democratic population of 1.492 billion Arestenians love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The enormous government juggles the competing demands of Education, Administration, and Healthcare. The average income tax rate is 85.3%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient Arestenian economy, worth 153 trillion Lire a year, is highly specialized and led by the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Tourism and Book Publishing. State-owned companies are common. Average income is an impressive 102,889 Lire, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The standardised national curriculum requires that all-male classes be taught why they have periods, airplane passengers who purchase "basic economy" tickets are often assigned seats in the lavatory, cyclists spend more time unlocking their bicycles than they do cycling, and history textbook pages are used as impromptu tissues by distraught students. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Aresten's national animal is the snow leopard, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Aresten, history textbook pages are used as impromptu tissues by distraught students.
- : Aresten was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Lowest Crime Rates.
- : Following new legislation in Aresten, cyclists spend more time unlocking their bicycles than they do cycling.
- : Following new legislation in Aresten, airplane passengers who purchase "basic economy" tickets are often assigned seats in the lavatory.
- : Following new legislation in Aresten, the standardised national curriculum requires that all-male classes be taught why they have periods.
- : Aresten was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Developed.
- : Following new legislation in Aresten, the government has an entire department dedicated to staring at microscopes and writing down letters.
- : Following new legislation in Aresten, atheists in the nation feel uneasy living in buildings where they were once vilified.
- : Following new legislation in Aresten, Leader's office is running a trade deficit of midnight oil.
- : Following new legislation in Aresten, grocery stores can be audibly identified by the giggling emerging from them.
Endorsements Received: 94 » Qvait, New Briantown, Corgitopiaa, Erinor, Amerion, West Pastafaria, Land Without Shrimp, Concrete Slab, Tsunamy, Bleakfoot, PenguinPies, Bawkie, Jehenna, Aumeltopia, Ridehale, Midand, The Worst army of, Andinla, The Filippinas, Wehraboos, Volaworand, Belschaft, Sandaoguo, Farengeto, Ebonhand, Auphelia, Tepertopia, Kandorith, Phanama, Holy Free, 073 039 109 032 080 111 112 112 121, Merevane, Purple Hyacinth, Bartonia Nova, Brunier, Doraya, Terran Draconia, Zataras, Rebel-topia, Alfama, Tsvetania, Marinho Islands, Sedunn, Nowa Europa, Vanbella, The SpaceNeo-Goryeo Etymological Society, Los Rodeos, Rabbitz, Apartment 11F, WI SD EA D, and 44 others.Yellunstryer, Rotenaplistan, Beepee, The Imperial Frost Federation, Roterdamia, Holota, Treir, Ceutalia, Blondiesland, Synarion, Playing Pianos Filled With Flames, Wakandan Tribes, Wallechi, Lionstrapower, Truskawkoland, Honey Cake, Qawe, Eskvenn, Kylania, LadyRebels, The Altan, Seythennia, Doge Land, Death to democracy, Scu Greinne, Conexia, Pencil Sharpeners 2, Bichedder, NIGHTRAY, West Bridgeport, Libedistan, Westenhald, New Belgrade, Sapientiano, Carrelie, Gonrati, Noimosini, The United Australian States, Populaa, Freavia, The Langburn Islands, Ipugao, East Nagaland, and Alambar.