The Twin-Emirate of Ares-y-Penthesilea is a colossal, safe nation, remarkable for its state-planned economy, compulsory military service, and punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed population of 8.425 billion Academians are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The large, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Defense, and Law & Order. The average income tax rate is 56.4%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but inefficient Academian economy, worth 277 trillion Hephaestuses a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector is led by the Beef-Based Agriculture industry, with major contributions from Automobile Manufacturing, Soda Sales, and Cheese Exports. Average income is 32,886 Hephaestuses, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Voting is compulsory, political parties are banned from advertising and receiving private donations, the alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit, and military spending is on the increase. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Ares-y-Penthesilea's national animal is the Minotaur.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Ares-y-Penthesilea's influence in Esportiva rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Ares-y-Penthesilea was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Populations.
- : Ares-y-Penthesilea's influence in Esportiva rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Ares-y-Penthesilea's influence in Esportiva rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Ares-y-Penthesilea's influence in Esportiva rose from "Zero" to "Newcomer".
- : Ares-y-Penthesilea altered its national flag.
- : Ares-y-Penthesilea relocated from Balder to Esportiva.
- : Ares-y-Penthesilea was refounded in Balder.
- : Ares-y-Penthesilea ceased to exist.
- : Ares-y-Penthesilea was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Populations.