The Republic of Alfama is a huge, socially progressive nation, renowned for its rum-swilling pirates, state-planned economy, and absence of drug laws. The compassionate, democratic population of 485 million Alfamen love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The enormous, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Administration, and Welfare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Belém. The average income tax rate is 81.4%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The strong Alfaman economy, worth 32.0 trillion guilders a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector is mostly made up of the Information Technology industry. Average income is 65,995 guilders, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Space shuttles are lying silent on the runway till the Space Agency can work out how to fit a creche and a meditation room into their next spacecraft, authorities are looking for a stool pigeon to rat out who is stealing food from pigeon toilets, the people elect the Supreme Court justices directly, and groups of government workers are declared protected tribes if they venture too deep into the Capitol. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Alfama's national animal is the cat, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Alfama was endorsed by The United Protectorate of Tepertopia.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, groups of government workers are declared protected tribes if they venture too deep into the Capitol.
- : Alfama was endorsed by The Most Serene Republic of Philippinia.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, the people elect the Supreme Court justices directly.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, authorities are looking for a stool pigeon to rat out who is stealing food from pigeon toilets.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, space shuttles are lying silent on the runway till the Space Agency can work out how to fit a creche and a meditation room into their next spacecraft.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, funerals are often rudely interrupted by juggling clowns shouting for volunteers from the audience.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, people reciting Shakespeare have become a common sight.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, construction of the Really Big Hadron Collider is underway.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, retirement homes are often fitted with luxurious suites.
Endorsements Received: 129 » Madreia, Amerion, Erinor, Marinho Islands, The Filippinas, Crystal Creation, Wehraboos, Qvait, Anserisa, Pencil Sharpeners 2, Aumeltopia, Volaworand, Land Without Shrimp, Tsunamy, Bawkie, Bleakfoot, PenguinPies, Auphelia, Laamiva, Corgitopiaa, Alaninia, CzechoSlovakishMoravia, Well F, Farengeto, United States of Vietnam, Sandaoguo, New Briantown, Myness, West Pastafaria, Drugged Monkeys, 073 039 109 032 080 111 112 112 121, Yeldarbsland, Kedjens, Belschaft, Midand, Cypheri, Concrete Slab, The United Expanse, Outer Utonixick Gollinican, Kiasu-ism, The Worst army of, Barabarom, Starsight, Ralphburg, Jehenna, Vincent Field, Bear Connors Paradiso, Avia Lavanda, Catillos, White Bananistan, and 79 others.Xarbraden, Tioloman, Myndia, Noire Denholm, Weburya, Free United Republic, Si-topia, Drazilazi, Gonrati, ChickenDome, Irrepertus, Schmidtjones, The Hare Jordans, East Lodge, Grimsby town, Maerist, Andinla, Not Austria, Steampunk Engineers, Distrotika, The West Valley Mountains, Maneell Medina, Dovive, Bumblegaria, Maximvs Tarvgvs Rex, Utondara, Japanese Federal Republic, Kandorith, Isokenzar, Tsvetania, Fighting Kawi Ninja, A little place for u and me, Nowa Europa, Luddinlande, Nova Montron, Seliyan progressive Islands, South Western Korea, Sthalrim, The Solar System Scope, West Fallows, Darakin, Abarri, Westerlonia, The naked people, Djalia, Native Inhabitants of Antarctica, Efferalt, Kallassius, Aidenfieeld, Thousand Milos, Centristvill, Vega Naothia, Great Andora, Rebel-topia, Silberne Wache, FreeFishers, Doss Kingly, Namhines, Theorin, Bromsivia, Baltenlands, Coadjuthen, Gecetesse, Linguiniland, House Ahsanul, Hanguk-Nippon, Nueva Alta California, Esfalsa, Escevola, Sedunn, Cuuldere, New Juan Carlos Land, Jazzfrezia, Ebonhand, Nookington, Terreno Travato, Merevane, Philippinia, and Tepertopia.