|Animal||Red tailed Hawk|
The Republic of Alcotan is a huge, socially progressive nation, remarkable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, smutty television, and public floggings. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 273 million Alcotanians are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.
The minute, pro-business government, or what there is of one, is primarily concerned with Defense, although Law & Order and Education are also considered important, while Social Policy and International Aid receive no funds. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 4.8%.
The thriving Alcotanian economy, worth 20.9 trillion Bucks a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Gambling, Soda Sales, and Book Publishing. Average income is 76,509 Bucks, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 331,294 per year while the poor average 11,229, a ratio of 29.5 to 1.
Police officers often conceal their identities to safeguard against public complaints, water fights now end with thousands dead, epileptic patients switch their medications to whichever has a 'buy one get one free' offer, and a stocking with a crooked seam or a tie without a full Windsor knot are grounds for instant dismissal. Crime is a serious problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Alcotan's national animal is the Red tailed Hawk, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Alcotan altered its national flag.
- : Alcotan's influence in Tierra Gaia rose from "Power" to "Superpower".
- : Alcotan was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Manufacturing Sector.
- : Alcotan's influence in Tierra Gaia fell from "Superpower" to "Power".
- : Alcotan's influence in Tierra Gaia fell from "Dominator" to "Superpower".
- : Alcotan's influence in Tierra Gaia fell from "Hermit" to "Dominator".
- : Alcotan's influence in Tierra Gaia rose from "Zero" to "Hermit".
- : Alcotan relocated from Roman league to Tierra Gaia.
- : Alcotan founded the region Tierra Gaia.
- : Following new legislation in Alcotan, a stocking with a crooked seam or a tie without a full Windsor knot are grounds for instant dismissal.