|Leader||The Workers' Union|
The Democratic Republic of Torness is a massive, safe nation, ruled by The Workers' Union with an even hand, and remarkable for its smutty television, absence of drug laws, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate population of 2.014 billion Tornessians enjoy extensive civil rights and enjoy a level of social equality free from the usual accompanying government corruption.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, liberal, socially-minded morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Administration, and Welfare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Luxemgrad. The average income tax rate is 92.3%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The strong Tornessian economy, worth 159 trillion Workers' Credits a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is highly specialized, is mostly made up of the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing and Basket Weaving. Average income is 78,947 Workers' Credits, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
It is illegal to make racist remarks in public, they who do not work shall not eat, solid-gold toilets are Tornessian prisons' least expensive furnishings, and hordes of tourists are ruining the environment. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Torness's national animal is the Dove, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Torness is ranked 297,139th in the world and 50th in The Internationale for Most Avoided, scoring 0.77 on the Kardashian Reflex Score.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Torness was endorsed by The Socialist Republic of Slanetria.
- : Torness was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Advanced Public Transport.
- : Torness was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Secular.
- : Torness endorsed The Confederacy of Hertalin.
- : Torness's influence in The Internationale rose from "Squire" to "Apprentice".
- : Torness was endorsed by The Confederacy of Hertalin.
- : Torness endorsed The Two Socialist Republics of Stranaestrada.
- : Torness was endorsed by The Two Socialist Republics of Stranaestrada.
- : Torness was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Lowest Crime Rates.
- : Following new legislation in Torness, hordes of tourists are ruining the environment.
Endorsements Received: 8 » Phalanx Rouge, Anasychkinark, The American Continentes, Esgeirimmen, Vilthis, Stranaestrada, Hertalin, and Slanetria.