Pony Lands RMB

WA Delegate (non-executive): The Pony Principality of Princess Luna (elected 1 year 168 days ago)

Founder: The Pony Principality of Magical Equestria

BoardActivity History Admin

World Factbook Entry

We've got ponies, therefore your argument is invalid.

Welcome to NationStates' original My Little Pony-themed region. Anyone wishing to RP a nation based on any part of the MLP franchise is welcome to set up shop here.

Our Regional Maps: LinkPony Lands LinkNorthern Pony Lands

PONY-THEMED NS FORUM THREADS

Pony Lands Map Discussion
CoPS RP Group
The Shift: An Update on the State of Holy Marsh (Reactions)
Glory to the God Princess: The Celestial War (Closed)
The Celestial Negotiations (Pony Lands: See OOC)
The Celestial Negotiations OOC Thread

Embassies: New Lunar Republic, Orbital Friendship Cannon HQ, Tareldanore, The Commonwealth Of Furry Peoples, Angels of Derp, Trojans, Mystria, Avalanchia, The Empire of Friendship, Vissella, Alaran peri quan preciad, Unified Skaian Syndicate of Rulers, The Epic Pony Region, Eladen, Sacrum Romanum Imperium, Farkistan, and 30 others.The Mictlan System, Strategos Prime, Glorious Nations of Iwaku, The Federal Islands 2nd Gen, NationStates Sesquipedalian Countries, League of Christian Nations, Armagedox, Freedom and Justice Alliance, The Darwin Allied Republics, The Discord Dominion, Yerushalem VI, Louisiana Alliance x Alliance Louisiane, One big Island, Ivory Tower, New Industria, The Illuminati, Eientei, the Realm of Discord, My Little Pony Equestria, Kotturheim, The Confederation, Valhalla, Warhammer 40000, NS April Fools Day Jokes, Equestria, Equestrian States, Winterfell, The Derpy Dominion, Postapocalyptic Potatoland, and The Land of Equestria.

Construction of embassies with Avadam Inn has commenced. Completion expected in 1 day 10 hours.

Tags: Enormous, Silly, Monarchist, Featured, Fantasy Tech, Multi-Species, Magical, and Serious.

Regional Power: Very High

Pony Lands contains 176 nations, the 69th most in the world.

Today's World Census Report

The Largest Information Technology Sector in Pony Lands

As a region, Pony Lands is ranked 39th in the world for Largest Information Technology Sector.

#NationWA CategoryMotto
61.The Kingdom of AlkorskoLibertarian Police State“Show a little kindness.”
62.The Protectorate of Lyra and Bon BonWA MemberCivil Rights Lovefest“You are in the care of Lyra and Bon Bon”
63.The Unahted States of AmurikahCapitalist Paradise“Eh Ploorbus Oonahm”
64.The Collective Exon supremacy of ShrakaFather Knows Best State“For the collector and hivemind we defend”
65.The United Socialist States of Rhodigai ZephyriaFather Knows Best State“Praise the Federation & Pass the Chicken!”
66.The Zerg Hives of SinemaScandinavian Liberal Paradise“The Zerg are Nature in All Her Fury”
67.The Rogue Nation of The SmoozeIron Fist Consumerists“Nothing can stop the Smooze!”
68.The United Socialist States of Chaotic DraconequiiDemocratic Socialists“Хаос превыше всего”
69.The Protected Isle of The VinesWA MemberCivil Rights Lovefest“Your life force. Our passion.”
70.The Democratic States of The Republic of Middle AlbionWA MemberLeft-wing Utopia“Through toil and trouble, We Shall Prevail.”
Page:  «  1  2  . . . 4  5  6  7  8  9  10  . . . 17  18  »

Last poll: “Princess Poll”

Regional Happenings

More...

Pony Lands Regional Message Board

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:Not really.

There is no "bureaucrat worker" who tells the other workers what to do. Bees aren't intelligent enough to have an organized government of any sort, they just instinctively work together.

But being a queen is clearly a priviledged position that brings to mind pampered human nobles: you get to have lots of food and sex while doing little real work, and the rest of the hive will give their lives to defend you. And I read once (didn't keep the link) that in some species of... I think it was ants... multiple queens in a hive will engage in court intrigue trying to usurp each others' positions.

If you take a beehive society and up their intelligence to the point that they do start to understand the concepts of laws and following orders and bureaucracy and talking, it's really rather reasonable for the queen to use her important and indispensible position in the hive to amass political power.

Some hives, possibly, might demote their queen to a constitutional monarch with no real power, while a democratic worker council makes the real decisions. Part of being intelligent, after all, is that you're flexible enough to experiment with different government types - and humans have. (We've also occasionally revolted against an unpopular monarch to replace with a new, hopefully better monarch.) But saying that smart queens can't give orders because dumb ones don't is naive. Intelligence means more complicated behavior patterns for everyone.

Anyway, we're not talking about bees - we're talking about changelings. There isn't even any canon confirmation that changelings actually reproduce in an eusocial manner. There is, however, canon confirmation that they have something called a queen (that she's visually different from other changelings isn't indicative, since so are pony princesses) and that she's a power-hungry sort.

Now personally what I dislike about eusocial hive creatures in fiction is that they usually have a hive mind. (I'm also really tired of aliens with psychic powers in general.) Ants and bees each have a (simple) mind of their own. It's so much more interesting to have a hive society who work together because they love each other. The queen is mommy. That's more fun than just being a single mind in multiple bodies, don't you think?

Another thing writers often get wrong is there being only one queen for the whole species. There's simply no way for that to happen: evolution requires a large number of reproductive organisms competing for fitness, which in a hive species means lots of hives, each with their own queen. Besides, having a single point of failure like that puts your species on the fast track to going extinct.

It's best to think of the queen as the elder of a very tightly-knit clan.

I completely agree with your point on aliens with hive minds and psychic powers. You'll be pleased to know that I will immedeatly begin work on an insectoid species lacking both hive mind and psychic powers. I will call them Sylaphids, and they will resemble the wasp/ant lineage in some ways, and the Termite lineage in others.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote: It's so much more interesting to have a hive society who work together because they love each other. The queen is mommy.


There's a reason our favored government type is "Mother Knows Best State", after all.

The United Equine Directorate of Sinovet wrote:I completely agree with your point on aliens with hive minds and psychic powers. You'll be pleased to know that I will immedeatly begin work on an insectoid species lacking both hive mind and psychic powers.

Well, this might be interesting once you have something to read :)

The United Equine Directorate of Sinovet wrote:I will call them Sylaphids, and they will resemble the wasp/ant lineage in some ways, and the Termite lineage in others.

Termites' most memorable difference from other eusocial insects is that they're more egalitarian. Reproductive kings and queens stay together in the hive rather than males mating once and then dying, and sterile workers come in both vestigially-male and vestigially-female versions.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:Termites' most memorable difference from other eusocial insects is that they're more egalitarian. Reproductive kings and queens stay together in the hive rather than males mating once and then dying, and sterile workers come in both vestigially-male and vestigially-female versions.

Also their soldiers have glue guns on their heads (in some species), and build giant freaking towers out of mud and their own feces, even using the magnetic field of the f*cking planet to guide construction for when they have to building flat sided towers. I learned this recently, by the way. Magnetic termites live in water-logged soils, where underground chambers as a refuge from the sun's heat are not an option. Thus, they build towers that are flat and always face north to south, so it catches the sun in the morning so the termites can warm up, only faces the sun on the top edge at the peak of noon, then again only on one face in the afternoon when the temperature goes down again.

Oh, and elsewhere where Termites can dig underground, they construct a whole airflow ventilation system to vent stale air and freshen it up with new air from outside. The tower is full of little pore and tunnel entrances that allow fresh air into a giant central chimney (though the top is closed). Wing going around the tower to the other side creates a small suction that sucks the stale air in the chimney out through more tunnels and channels. Pretty good for creatures with brains the size of a pin's tip.

Also, the key difference between Termintes and Ants (ancient enemies, by the way. Just look at the ongoing Matabele Ant VS Bellicose Termite war.) is that Ants are descended from Wasps, who are areal hunters (carnivores). Indeed, Ants are really just wasps minus the wings plus increased social organization. (Also, leaf cutter ants, but we won't talk about them).

Termites, on the other hand, are descended from cockroaches and are herbivores.

Bulkan pi**ed me off, again.

The Imperial Military State of Novaya Equestria wrote:Bulkan pi**ed me off, again.

You deserve it sometimes.

The Caldari State of Bulkan wrote:You deserve it sometimes.

That's because I am much angry IRL and I do the worst: attacking my own cousins for annoying me.

Hugs for everypony!

Squeeheart and Squalalaa

The United Equine Directorate of Sinovet wrote:Termites and Ants (ancient enemies, by the way. Just look at the ongoing Matabele Ant VS Bellicose Termite war.)

In which, incidentally, the ants are usually the aggressors while the termites are just trying to defend themselves.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:In which, incidentally, the ants are usually the aggressors while the termites are just trying to defend themselves.

Right. The Matabeles attack the Termites because they are carnivores and their prey of choice are Termites.

I just find it interesting that the evolution of Matabeles would have used war as a means of feeding.

Also, I sent you a thing.

Forum View

by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics