Pony Lands RMB

WA Delegate (non-executive): The Pony Principality of Princess Luna (elected 195 days ago)

Founder: The Pony Principality of Magical Equestria

World Factbook Entry

We've got ponies, therefore your argument is invalid.

Welcome to NationStates' original My Little Pony-themed region. Anyone wishing to RP a nation based on any part of the MLP franchise is welcome to set up shop here.

Our Regional Maps: LinkPony Lands LinkNorthern Pony Lands

PONY-THEMED NS FORUM THREADS

Pony Lands Map Discussion
CoPS RP Group
The Search for Light's Saviour (OOC/Interest)
The Fourth Sino-Clorinthian War: (OOC), (IC)
The 2nd Enclave Civil War (OOC, Signups)

Embassies: Equestria, New Lunar Republic, Orbital Friendship Cannon HQ, Tareldanore, Dash Clan, The Commonwealth Of Furry Peoples, Angels of Derp, United Nations of Fail Earth, Trojans, Mystria, Avalanchia, The Empire of Friendship, Vissella, Caballete Equus, Alaran peri quan preciad, Unified Skaian Syndicate of Rulers, and 32 others.The Epic Pony Region, Chrysanthemum Alliance, Eladen, Sacrum Romanum Imperium, Farkistan, The Mictlan System, Strategos Prime, Glorious Nations of Iwaku, The Federal Islands 2nd Gen, The Geoverse, NationStates Sesquipedalian Countries, League of Christian Nations, Armagedox, Freedom and Justice Alliance, Apple Farmlands, The Darwin Allied Republics, The Discord Dominion, The Derpy Dominion, The Magical Unicorns, Yerushalem VI, Louisiana Alliance x Alliance Louisiane, Trixie Supremacy, Tuatha De Danann, One big Island, Ivory Tower, South Antarctica, Algorenian Continent, New Industria, Interstellar Union, The Military Commonwealth, The Illuminati, and The Fluttershy Legion.

Tags: Enormous, Featured, Fantasy Tech, Multi-Species, Magical, and Monarchist.

Regional Power: High

Pony Lands contains 198 nations, the 49th most in the world.

ActivityHistoryAdministration

Today's World Census Report

The Largest Timber Woodchipping Industry in Pony Lands

As a region, Pony Lands is ranked 17,055th in the world for Largest Timber Woodchipping Industry.

#NationWA CategoryMotto
11.The Republic of TheTrapezoidCapitalizt“Neither I, nor anyone else, know anything.”
12.The Necratic Kingdom of AlstrainiaInoffensive Centrist Democracy“Immortale Imperium”
13.The Unahted States of AmurikahCorporate Bordello“Eh Plurbis Unum”
14.The Ebin Maymays of UrmanianWA MemberAnarchy“lamo XDDDDDDDDD”
15.The Enterprises of Richard RomanCorporate Police State“The world is my food dish”
16.The Eternal Grand Duchy of MuffinvaniaInoffensive Centrist Democracy“In her name, we spin lazily”
17.The Empire of OrussiaCorrupt Dictatorship“Vsegda razvivaet·sya. Nikogda ne ostanavlivayasʹ.”
18.The Kingdom of MadalriiFather Knows Best State“Sterk Nu, En Voor Altijd Meer”
19.The Empire of StahlarevIron Fist Consumerists“Industria. Ira. Victoria.”
20.The Principality of The Great Shy OnesDemocratic Socialists“Dârz în îmbrățișarea iubirii”
Page:  «  1  2  3  4  5  . . . 19  20  »

Regional Happenings

More...

Pony Lands Regional Message Board

Issue 035: Refugees Want To Call Squeeheart Home

... Where do these refugees keep coming from?! Seriously, all the time there are foreigners coming here to escape some tyrant country. I don't mind accepting these immigrants into Squeeheart, but where do they keep coming from?

The Zombie Survival Ponies of Squeeheart wrote:Issue 035: Refugees Want To Call Squeeheart Home

... Where do these refugees keep coming from?! Seriously, all the time there are foreigners coming here to escape some tyrant country. I don't mind accepting these immigrants into Squeeheart, but where do they keep coming from?

When you imagine all of the horrible places in Nationstates, it doesn't seem so surprising that there might be a lot of refugees.

The Feudal Cloud States of Old Pegasopolis wrote:When you imagine all of the horrible places in Nationstates, it doesn't seem so surprising that there might be a lot of refugees.

That is true. What is also true (and what I've also left out) is the issue states the refugees are coming from neighboring nations.

Now of course I could just shrug that off, but knowing some of the nations in this very region...

The Zombie Survival Ponies of Squeeheart wrote:That is true. What is also true (and what I've also left out) is the issue states the refugees are coming from neighboring nations.

Now of course I could just shrug that off, but knowing some of the nations in this very region...

Hey my people may be repressed but at least they have jobs and an education.

"As you very well know, a masked stranger with a pistol made an attempt on your life but moments ago while you were out on your lunch break. An emergency meeting has been called right here in the middle of the street after the would-be assassin disappeared over a nearby grassy knoll."

I chose #2

The Zombie Survival Ponies of Squeeheart wrote:That is true. What is also true (and what I've also left out) is the issue states the refugees are coming from neighboring nations.

Now of course I could just shrug that off, but knowing some of the nations in this very region...

Hmm... Who might that be?

Following new legislation in Atromusian Gods, embarrassed police officers wear spandex and carry net guns.
Haha! Take that police!

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:I know, I was just jokingly thinking about how a religion would work where the gods are communist :) Unfortunately, I didn't come up with anything very funny.


I've found things are always funnier in person.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:
Even if your leader actually is a god, that's no reason not to question his judgement. In just about every mythology, even gods are fallible. (Yes, even the Ambrahammic ones. There are places in the bible where YHWH is described as regretting his decisions. Or, for that matter, relenting and changing his mind because his followers questioned his judgement.)

Absolutely true. I find that questioning the establishment is instrumental to keeping a just society.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:
I was going to make a joke about how limestone can become a gas, but apparently, it actually can't. According to Wikipedia, calcium carbonate has no gaseous state because it will chemically decompose before it will boil.

I know. You can't tell but when I made that post I sat here on my chair for a good thirty seconds pondering what is solid and never turns to gas.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:
Though there is also the fact that few people are aware of Lenin's original distinction between "communism" and "socialism" (Marx also made the distinction, but not by those names). Even the Soviet Union never actually claimed to be communist, just socialist. (It's not the USCR!)

You raise many good points. We must mandate that those who discuss matters of socialism and communism and parallel matter first conduct adequate research which must include a firm understanding of the Communist Manifesto and its contents. We must put an end of uninformed debate! I care not if people oppose my views, I care only whether or not they know what they are talking about. An uninformed critic is a sad and useless thing.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:
The question, then: is such a corruption the inevitable result of attempting communism or is there some way to do it right? Sure, you can talk about how they were just going about it the wrong way, but the fact that every single attempt at a communist state failed spectacularly seems statistically significant.

Well, this is a good question, and a hard one to answer. Evidently, the reply will vary greatly from person to person, but here today I will give you the opinion of the connoisseur of revolutions.
It has always been my stance that Communism functions as a sociopolitical system. Why then has every attempt to attain it failed? Well the answer is simple enough. It is not making Communism work that is the hard part. The hard part is making the transition from something else to Communism. If you think about it, there is so much that can ruin the transition. First, the actual revolt. A brutal uprising will fail, because brutality prompts counteraction and the new regime is crushed. An incomplete rebellion, a 'guerilla' if you will, will not work. A militant minority cannot hope to have the support of the public at large, which is the centerpiece of any form of Communism or Socialism or really any regime born from a revolution. Thus, a revolution must have a large majority of the public behind it and be as swift as possible. When I think about it, it is impossible for a good revolution to be bloodless. In my opinion, the old regime has to be crushed and all the way gone for the new one to be stable. As I say, "The King has to die every time". Unfortunate, but true.
Next, the reform. As much as I would like to think this to be true, no regime, not even public rule, will establish itself. There has to be a clear and concise direction of change as the new regime is built. The foundations for Communism have to be laid, the communal mentality taught, land and property redistributed, things moved around left and right. Then the new system needs to be built, and the people who are to live with this system have to agree with its ideals and be willing to make it work. Turning a a theory into an establishment is notoriously hard, as I've come to observe.
So, to answer your question, it is no fluke that every attempt at Communism in the 20th century failed. It might not be so obvious, but the process of revolution and establishment is unbelievably difficult to do, and even harder to do right. Certainly not something the current, and I would say flimsy movement of Communists and Socialists and 'Reds' could possibly undertake. Given our world, it will be a very long time before a state successfully makes the transition to Communism. But it can happen, and I hope it will happen, though I know I will not live to see the day.

It seems what your argument comes down to is that a gradual change is easier than a sudden switch. So, what stepwise reforms would you propose that would bring us closer to communism without being a radical reorganization?

I guess stuff like social welfare and antitrust laws are a start, but those aren't generally intended to ever replace capitalism, just trim its edges.

...Really, "trimming the edges" is a good metaphor for my opinion on the matter. It's a good idea to have limits on the market to prevent abuse, but I do think there should be a market, because no government, even a democratic one, is going to be able to properly satisfy everyone's preferences - even a democratic government becomes a tyranny by majority without a means for individual expression.

Great scott, I should have brought my mountain climbing gear.

Switch to Forum View

by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics