Equestria RMB

WA Delegate: The United Utopia of Untspah (elected )

Founder: Makrtopia

BoardActivity History Admin Rank

Most Nations: 131st Most World Assembly Endorsements: 151st Most Influential: 516th+2
Most Cultured: 1,244th Most Rebellious Youth: 1,965th
World Factbook Entry

Excitement! Adventure! And really wild stuff!

A blossoming empire full of various Equestrian nations, this region seeks peace and acceptance. Originally founded by Makrtopia, and currently managed by its major World Assembly delegate, The United Utopia of Untspah, Equestria invites and welcomes with open arms anyone wanting a new home or second chance.

To new nations: Please, be certain to join the World Assembly, and once you have, don't forget to endorse our regional delegate. Not only does this help strengthen them, it helps prevent hostile take-overs and invasions. And we don't want those to happen again, do we?

Our offsite forum is Linkhere.


Embassies: Pony Lands, Winterfell, Unified Skaian Syndicate of Rulers, The Derpy Dominion, Freedom and Justice Alliance, Farkistan, Crystal Empire, Terra Magnificum, Avadam Inn, The Dirt Alliance, The Galactic Federacy, Sagittarius Arm, Social Enterprise of The Gulf, The Federated Union of Stars, Serenity, WAYNE 2016, and 13 others.Hollow Point, Mahtomedi, The Empire of Friendship, The Brohoof Union, Scotland and Northern Ireland, The Lunar Islands, International Freedom Union, EC 320, Sandbox, Telltale Community, Krillin, Nationalist Commonwealth of Free Regions, and The Delta Librae Galaxy.

Tags: Enormous, Offsite Forums, Silly, Social, Casual, Fandom, Featured, Multi-Species, Founderless, and Magical.

Regional Power: Very High

Equestria contains 109 nations, the 131st most in the world.

Today's World Census Report

The Highest Economic Output in Equestria

World Census bean-counters crunched the numbers to calculate national Gross Domestic Product. Older nations, with higher populations, were noted to have a distinct advantage.

As a region, Equestria is ranked 3,594th in the world for Highest Economic Output.

NationWA CategoryMotto
«12. . .91011

Recent polls: “OH GOD THEY'RE SINGING”“Planting a garden...”

Regional Happenings

More...

Equestria Regional Message Board

On a completely non-pony and off topic note, Draggy's fallen back into Skyrim. I'll let you know if I find any funny bugs/glitches/"Bethesda features".

They needed the magic ugly tree for twilight's castle to fall out of and hit every branch on the way down.

Dashlantis and Our Town Restored

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:But now the working-for-it has been done, so now they're being back to square one of being able to activate the power anytime they want, with the added bonus that it's not possible to keep them from it by having an army of changelings block the way to the vault.

Thing is, I don't think that's canon. It could be that Princess Luna's dream was just a dream, and they can't just "Rainbow up" whenever they want. And it's very likely that the writers will manage to make a conflict that prevents them from resolving it right away because their writers are competent.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:(Incidentally, solving the changeling invasion with the same Elements of Harmony that beat the previous two villains would still have been better than shoehorning in an entirely new deus ex machina. At least the old deus ex machina has an excuse of being an established part of the setting.)

Starting with the end of season two, the writers have been trying to get out of the "Insta-kill hyper beam rainbow elements" rut they were in. They wanted the CHARACTERS to resolve it, not just to take turns walking up to a gun and pulling the trigger.
But have you noticed what the writers did in that finale? Nobody seems to get it: they wrote a villain so competent that they were FORCED to deus ex machina their way out of it. (Joshscorcher echoes my thoughts here: https://youtu.be/0Y6CYHDKciY) Since they had decided to not use the Elements, they brought in a new DeM.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:Of course, they'd be far more effective at showing the value of friendship if they had the characters actually win through teamwork and using strategies that combine each of their individual skills, rather than a magical superweapon that just happens to be keyed of friendship. I mean, they could have introduced an artifact that's powered by hatred or solitude or something and it would have been just as believable, in-universe, aside from not fitting with the show's intended message.
Like in The Return of Harmony in the beginning where they were corralling those clouds, and towards the end where they were catching Rainbow Dash. Those were neat. There should be more of that kind of stuff.

There should, I agree, but that's not what the fans want. Over the past few years, dhx has been split between their original audience and their largest fanbase, but that separation of interest has left them in a tough position. I mean, think about it: most bronies want this to be more adult, but it's still confined to a TV-Y rating. The fans are too focused on what the show can't do that they don't ask for what they can. Teamwork is good, but it's also "too mundane", and the producers have to give the fans some semblance of what they want. Thus, we get Twilie Ball Z instead of... whatever 80's sitcom I'm thinking of (not Friends). Not that that's a bad thing, it's just hard for a show to be both Powerpuff Girls and The Brady Bunch (I don't know which one I'm thinking of).

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:Using the Elements of Harmony to insta-beat every enemy allows the writers to cheat their way out of including any true fight scenes.

But people keep forgetting: this show was never INTENDED to have fight scenes. This is a slice-of-life comedy; any semblance of fighting is purely extraneous.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:And when the major-threat-to-Equestria episodes do feature fight scenes, they're Twilight-only, because screw friendship, who needs that? Friends are for helping you activate magical rainbow cannons, nothing else.

Well what would you have them do? The fact is that it was a fight between GOD-LIKE ENTITIES; there was NOTHING they could have done.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:The one exception was fighting the changeling army, and that was treated as a montage of the coolest moments in the fight while skipping the rest.

Because, again, this is a SLICE-OF-LIFE COMEDY, not a gritty action thriller. The fights are supposed to be second to the characters and their relationships.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:The best fight scenes in the show were in non-fate-of-Equestria episodes. Even, say, Look Before You Sleep. That fight was completely unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but it was funny and well-animated with interesting moves.

S̶L̶I̶C̶E̶ ̶O̶F̶ ̶L̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶I̶F̶E̶ See, that was a fitting fight, simply because it was a playful scuffle between friends. Life-and-death fate-of-the-universe fights don't fit with the theme of the show, but pillow fights (especially ramped up with magic) are pleasant, funny, and enjoyable to watch.

The Shenanigans of Dragoria wrote:They needed the magic ugly tree for twilight's castle to fall out of

Right, they have two magic ugly trees now.

Because nopony builds castles or anything. You just get 'em as a freebie from a magic tree. That's how you know you're special.

Convenient how the (first) tree decided to give Twilight a gift right after her old home got destroyed... and only her old home got destroyed in a surgical strike while the rest of Ponyville is fine... even though the gift box was first presented long before that happened.

It's like the Tree of Harmony deliberately orchestrated Tirek's escape from Tartarus and guided him into doing its bidding just so Twilight would be homeless at the right moment. Which, given the sort of foresight it's showing with the deus ex mapina, is entirely plausible.

Trotterdam needs to watch his sodium intake.

Dashlantis and Our Town Restored

Post self-deleted by Our Town Restored.

The United Confederation of Armetesia wrote:Trotterdam needs to watch his sodium intake.

Trotterdam: "I prefer sodium chloride. Much less volatile."

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:It's like the Tree of Harmony deliberately orchestrated Tirek's escape from Tartarus and guided him into doing its bidding just so Twilight would be homeless at the right moment. Which, given the sort of foresight it's showing with the deus ex mapina, is entirely plausible.

Wow, Tree of Harmony, way to do things the complicated way.
You could have just, you know, put the castle beside it.

The Principality of Trotterdam wrote:It's like the Tree of Harmony deliberately orchestrated Tirek's escape from Tartarus and guided him into doing its bidding just so Twilight would be homeless at the right moment. Which, given the sort of foresight it's showing with the deus ex mapina, is entirely plausible.

It's likely more possible that - given the sort of foresight it's showing with the deus ex mapina AND the fact that it was connected to the Tree and therefore the earth - it sensed that Twilight's home was destroyed and gave her a new one.
Less malevolent that way.

"The earth" meaning the land.

The Last Remnants of Our Town Restored wrote:their writers are competent

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The Last Remnants of Our Town Restored wrote:But have you noticed what the writers did in that finale? Nobody seems to get it: they wrote a villain so competent that they were FORCED to deus ex machina their way out of it.

Yeah, competent enough that she dumped Twilight in an unlocked and barely-guarded prison, thus not really impeding her any, while revealing herself to be evil after all when she had almost gotten away with fooling everypony, Twilight included.

There's any number of ways they could have had Celestia, Twilight, the Royal Guard, etc. beat Chrysalis and the changelings in a fair fight (after still being a close call and still showing Chrysalis to be competent). Or weaken them in a fair fight so that using one deus ex machina or the other to finish them off wouldn't be such of a cop-out. They chose not to.

The Last Remnants of Our Town Restored wrote:most bronies want this to be more adult, but it's still confined to a TV-Y rating

Err what?

Please no.

Television and the internet are already full of rampant swearing, obscenity, gore, and grimdark suffering. I like My Little Pony for not having that.

I'd like the show to be a little more intelligent. The nice thing about intelligent writing is that, when done well, you don't need to be a genius to understand it. You just think "oh wow that makes perfect sense now that the story laid it out for me but I would never have thought of that myself!". There is no reason a children's show can't be intelligent, especially if it's billing itself as "edutainment".

Good teamwork may be harder to write, but if done properly children can still go "yeah, I see how friendship helped in that instance". If you're not interested in showing the advantages of friendship in a believable, applicable-to-the-real-world manner, then you might as well just hang posters reading "HEY, Y'ALL BE FRIENDS NOW" around school and skip on making a full television show. I could do that.

The Last Remnants of Our Town Restored wrote:Teamwork is good, but it's also "too mundane",

Not when the individual skills you're combining into the teamwork include magic, flight, and general awesomeness.

If you can't do something interesting with your characters' skills, you need better characters.

The Last Remnants of Our Town Restored wrote:But people keep forgetting: this show was never INTENDED to have fight scenes. This is a slice-of-life comedy; any semblance of fighting is purely extraneous.

Then why do they keep having villains trying to destroy the world? Slice-of-life comedies don't normally face so many existential threats in a year.

The show was always intended to mix slice-of-life comedy with adventure.

And in fact, my point is that the fight scenes in the slice-of-life comedy parts (which are, as you say, "extraneous") are better than the ones in the adventure parts. Which seems backwards.

The Last Remnants of Our Town Restored wrote:Well what would you have them do? The fact is that it was a fight between GOD-LIKE ENTITIES; there was NOTHING they could have done.

I wasn't just talking about Tirek. The same also applies to Starlight Glimmer in Cloudsdale. Or even to Twilight's horn-first charge at Nightmare Moon (which was a feint to lure her away from the Elements, but still makes Twilight the only character to have interacted with Nightmare Moon in some way other than blasting rainbows at her).

The "fight" against Tirek was also completely irrelevant and a waste of time since they were both completely invulnerable to everything, and it was blasting him with rainbows (that he apparently can't absorb the way he can absorb every other magic, including Discord's) that got rid of him. At least in a pillow fight, there's some minor difference (to your pride) between getting hit and avoiding getting hit. The Tirek fight didn't even give the sense of that much mattering.

The Last Remnants of Our Town Restored wrote:It's likely more possible that - given the sort of foresight it's showing with the deus ex mapina AND the fact that it was connected to the Tree and therefore the earth - it sensed that Twilight's home was destroyed and gave her a new one.
Less malevolent that way.

It was clearly introduced for the sake of "Twilight is a princess now, so she should have a castle". The castle was also necessary to bring into play the deus ex mapina, which is its central feature.

At least out-of-universe, the writers were clearly looking for an excuse to give Twilight a castle (and a deus ex mapina), and decided to destroy her old home to help the transition.

If the Tree of Harmony hadn't specifically planned it out that way in-universe (instead just giving her a new house because it's what she happened to turn out to need), then that would mean that the foundation of recent seasons' plots, presented as a major part of Twilight's character development and growing into her role of princessdom, was a complete accident.

Or if the Tree of Harmony was planning from the start to give Twilight a castle but was originally planning to just put it next to her old house (or wherever) rather than replacing her old house, then it's still awfully conspicious that the only thing Tirek seriously damaged is the thing Twilight could afford to lose.

(Okay, it later turns out that he also damaged the Ponyville school playground. Still nowhere near the level of damage of completely burning down the library. The schoolhouse itself is still fine, even.)

Forum View

by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics