WA Delegate (non-executive): The Island Republic of Markanite (elected 6 days ago)
Founder: The United States of Grub
Embassies: Texas, Yggdrasil, Urbanites, Renegade Islands Alliance, Canada, European Union, Wysteria, Mordor, Global Right Alliance, the Rejected Realms, Lazarus, The East Pacific, Philosophy 115, Deutschland, ITALIA, Nederland, and 7 others.Liberty Alliance, France, Chicago, India, Democrats, Atrigeas, and Valhalla.
The embassy with Atrigeas is being withdrawn. Closure expected in 1 day 9 hours.
Regional Power: Extremely High
Today's World Census Report
The Safest in 10000 Islands
The World Census ranked nations on a variety of scales to produce an indication of how safe a country is to visit.
As a region, 10000 Islands is ranked 2,721st in the world for Safest.
Regional Poll • What 10000 Islands Generation are you?
Voting opened 1 day 15 hours ago and will close in 3 days 8 hours. Open to residents. You cannot vote as you are not logged in.
- 74 minutes ago: The United States of Rabbit Hill arrived from The South Pacific.
- 2 hours ago: The Kingdom of Pannon Islands ceased to exist.
- 2 hours ago: The Fiefdom of Marulevo ceased to exist.
- 2 hours ago: The Commonwealth of Nash Grove ceased to exist.
- 2 hours ago: The State of TheBlitz ceased to exist.
- 6 hours ago: The Colony of The Primm arrived from Ncr.
- 7 hours ago: The Kingdom of Nouvel Acadie arrived from France.
- 14 hours ago: The Free Land of Velisbar ceased to exist.
- 14 hours ago: The United States of ManCave V ceased to exist.
- 14 hours ago: The Kingdom of Podbara ceased to exist.
10000 Islands Regional Message Board
Why on earth would the employer require mandatory union membership?
Umm...many employers do. The notion that an Employer has the time and energy to negotiate 1,000 separate independent contracts with 1,000 different employees might be a libertarian utopianists dream, but hardly realistic. A single contract that lays out who gets paid what and what everyone's expectations and rights are is a lot easier.
For the same reason, it is easier to allow people to marry and have access to some 1,400 different government benefits than have each couple separately arrange health, benefit, and tax contracts amongst themselves.
...and even if the employer doesnt prefer it, it may be desired by Labor, and it becomes a concession to which he agrees.
You do realise that it's the employers prerogative to simply let each of his employees sign the same contract, regardless of their union status?
mmmh In our Federation labor unions were abolished long time ago. We believe in the self determination of corporate order. Employee discuss their status directly with employer. They analyze financial situation together and let the CEO Artificial intelligences to decide, It's perfect Labor union or syndicates are dangeruous and useless. Their pro-socialist anti-capitalist agendas cannot find a place in USEF
With all due respect, unions are neither socialist nor anti-capitalist. In fact, they are facilitators of true markets.
Capitalist Markets *only* work when there are a number of producers and a number of consumers creating choice in the marketplace, and when the bargaining power of producers and consumers is equal. Everyone knows that when you have a monopoly - or several producers acting as a monopoly - the price of the good increases beyond normal market equilibrium. Adam Smith wrote extensively about how large employers - operating as Monopsonists, sought to depress wages, and did so effectively when the laborers were unorganized and scattered about.
By organizing labor into a single voice to bargain with a single employer, you create equal bargaining power on both sides, and the price of labor can not be artificially manipulated as a result of unequal market power.
The only problem that I see that comes with unions is the constant witching back and forth between corporations having too much power and unions having too much power, it seems that they can never exist in harmony.
We have a rather tight control on Corporations in Scow Creek:
ARTICLE III – RIGHTS OF THE PEOPLE AS AGAINST CORPORATIONS
1. Except as hereinafter prohibited, all business enterprises of whatever size and endeavor have a Right of Incorporation, which shall grant said businesses the right of limited liability; to secure such rights, all corporations, both private and public, shall be registered with the Corporation Division of the Ministry of Finance, and all such required records shall be open to public inspection.
2. All employees of corporations shall have the right to organize, collectively bargain, enforce employment contracts in the workplace, and require membership in the union as a condition of employment; and no activity, habit, or lifestyle of any employee outside of the workplace shall serve as grounds for discipline or termination from a corporation.
3. All corporations shall annually submit an Employee Profit-Sharing Plan with the Ministry of Finance for the ensuing year for approval; all such distributions shall be made on a per capita basis, and shall not be included in the corporation’s taxable income.
4. For-profit banking institutions and insurance companies are prohibited in the Kingdom; other than between private individuals, all commercial transactions shall be handled through credit unions and non-profit insurance pools; nor shall any credit company collect, retain, or transmit financial and credit data on any individual without their revocable, written permission.
5. Only Natural Individuals shall have voting rights in the governance of any public corporation, and no sale of common stock to any pension fund, mutual fund, or other corporation shall be settled without written acknowledgement by the purchaser of their forfeiture of voting rights.
6. The enumeration of rights in this Constitution shall not be construed to establish a hierarchy of rights, nor to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Welcome to the Islands Rabbit Hill!
at major update Panem was raided by TBR and TBH. This means that if the resolution currently on the SC floor passes, the raiders will be able to password the region (and also gloat about it for weeks). I would like to encourage all of you to vote against "Repeal "Liberate Panem"".