A Message From NationStates Creator Max Barry
Update! Machine Man, March 11, 2009
Wow, has it been three years already? I have a new book-type thing out, so I updated the ad. This means you might be seeing it even though you clicked "Remove ad" sometime in the past. But never fear! You can banish me again, via the same process below.
Remove Max's ad from your nation!
You know that annoying ad at the top of your nation page? Yeah, sorry about that. My fault. It's just that I don't make a living from NationStates, so I hope you'll eventually think, "This game isn't bad. Maybe the guy's books are okay, too. I think I'll buy one and find out."
Plenty of you have done that. I want to sincerely thank you: you've helped make it possible for me to keep doing what I love. That's truly awesome.
It occured to me that if you've already sprung for one of my books, you shouldn't have to keep looking at those ads. So now, curiously timed to coincide with the release of my third novel, Company, I've come up with a way for you to remove them.
It's very simple. Here's how this works:
- You don't need to prove you bought a book. I believe you.
- One is enough. I'd love it if you bought all three—and you know, Amazon.com is doing a great deal at the moment when you buy two at once!—but one is fine. One is great. (And one should be enough to make you want to read the others. If it doesn't, I won't force you.)
- For one book purchase, you can remove the ads for all your nations, current and future.
- Second-hand doesn't count. Neither does borrowing me from a library. Sorry, but those things don't count toward my sales, so I figure fair's fair.
- If the ad changes in the future—e.g. I have another book published—you'll see the new ad for a few days. Then it will go away again. (This may happen once a year or so.)
- We're only talking about the banner ad on your nation page. The forum ads stay, and so do those Jennifer Government barcode-eye logos.
That's it! If you qualify, click one of the links below. Ads will be removed for your currently logged-in nation. Thanks, and I hope you enjoyed the read!
- [ I've bought a Machine Man subscription ]
- [ I've bought a copy of Company ]
- [ I've bought a copy of Jennifer Government ]
- [ I've bought a copy of Syrup ]
If you haven't bought one of my books, well, now you know why there's that odd, gnawing hole in your life. Why not fill it today? Grab my new novel Company and you've got that perfect gift for Dad and an ad-free NationStates for yourself! Does it get any better?
January 17, 2006