The Queen's State of Zayas Island is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, notable for its absence of drug laws, punitive income tax rates, and devotion to social welfare. The democratic population of 10.519 billion Zayas Islandians are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, liberal, socially-minded, outspoken morass — juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Healthcare, and Education. The average income tax rate is 72.8%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but stagnant Zayas Islandian economy, worth 135 trillion betales a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, highly specialized black market in Trout Farming, Door-to-door Insurance Sales, Book Publishing, and Gambling. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 12,839 betales, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Voting is voluntary. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Zayas Island's national animal is the deer, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Zayas Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Devout.
- : Zayas Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Public Transport Department.
- : Zayas Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Nudest (last census: Top 5%).
- : Zayas Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Nudest.
- : Zayas Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Highest Drug Use.
- : Zayas Island's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Zayas Island was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Extensive Civil Rights.
- : Zayas Island's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Zayas Island's influence in Ancient Lands rose from "Zero" to "Nipper".
- : Zayas Island relocated from Country of God to Ancient Lands.