The Tertian Empire of Zarkanians is a colossal, orderly nation, ruled by Colonel 187 with an iron fist, and remarkable for its frequent executions, anti-smoking policies, and ubiquitous missile silos. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 8.997 billion Zarkanians are kept under strict control by the oppressive government, which measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as "human resources."
The relatively small, corrupt, moralistic, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Natria Proper. The average income tax rate is 67.9%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient Zarkanian economy, worth a remarkable 3,084 trillion Yuriases a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Uranium Mining, Information Technology, and Door-to-door Insurance Sales. Black market activity is rampant. Average income is an amazing 342,822 Yuriases, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.8 times as much as the poorest.
Citizens are barcoded to keep track of their movements, millions of devastated 7-year-olds are denied astronaut and ballerina training, the state has declared war on the environment and environmentalists by association, and wounded veterans can only get prosthetics if they agree to become walking billboards for the arms industry. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force. Zarkanians's national animal is the Terenivian Blackbird, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution, and its national religion is Imperial Worship.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Zarkanians fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Extreme.
- : Zarkanians fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Scientifically Advanced.
- : Zarkanians was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Populations.
- : Zarkanians fell out of the world Top 10% for Most Authoritarian.
- : Zarkanians was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Publishing Industry (last census: Top 5%).
- : Zarkanians's influence in Delicious Friends fell from "Powerbroker" to "Eminence Grise".
- : Zarkanians was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Lowest Crime Rates (last census: Top 1%).
- : Zarkanians's influence in Delicious Friends rose from "Eminence Grise" to "Powerbroker".
- : Zarkanians lost WA Delegate status in Delicious Friends.
- : Zarkanians fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Dedicated Public Healthcare.
Endorsements Received: None.