|Category: Corporate Police State|
Regional Influence: Auxiliary
Location: Delicious Friends
The Tertian Empire of Zarkanians is a colossal, safe nation, ruled by Colonel 187 with an iron fist, and notable for its complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 6.834 billion Zarkanians are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, moralistic government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Law & Order, and Commerce. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Natria Proper. The average income tax rate is 96%. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, followed by Uranium Mining and Information Technology.
The bonfire of the old paper records can be seen for miles around Natria Proper, employers may fire workers without giving any reason, discarded pennies litter the streets, and tax rises are attributed to divine will. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Zarkanians's national animal is the Terenivian Blackbird, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution, its national religion is Imperial Worship, and its currency is the Yuriase.
Most Recent Government Activity: 9 days ago
- 14 hours ago: Zarkanians was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Rudest Citizens.
- 2 days 14 hours ago: Zarkanians was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Trout Fishing Sector.
- 6 days ago: Zarkanians was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Fattest Citizens.
- 19 days ago: Zarkanians's influence in Delicious Friends fell from "Negotiator" to "Auxiliary".
- 20 days ago: Zarkanians was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Manufacturing Sector.
- 21 days ago: Zarkanians was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Populations (last census: Top 10%).
- 35 days ago: Zarkanians changed its national demonym to "Zarkanian" and its demonym adjective to "Zarkanian".
- 40 days ago: Following new legislation in Zarkanians, tax rises are attributed to divine will.
- 43 days ago: Zarkanians was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Retail Industry.
- 44 days ago: Zarkanians was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Shortest Average Lifespan.