“For The Common Good”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Contender
Location: Philosophy 115
The Commonwealth of Wesland is a colossal, economically powerful nation, ruled by the Chancellor with a fair hand, and remarkable for its national health service. The compassionate, hard-working, intelligent population of 6.094 billion Weslanders enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, the Environment, and Social Equality. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Athalem. The average income tax rate is 53%. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Tourism industry.
Heavy industry must go to expensive lengths to dispose of waste, people reciting Shakespeare have become a common sight, international tensions are high as Wesland threatens any government with the audacity to arrest its citizens, and the nation's industries are scrambling to switch to biodegradable plastics. Crime is totally unknown. Wesland's national animal is the Weslandish Wild Hound, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Weslandish Rite Christianity, and its currency is the Datari.
Most Recent Government Activity: 26 days ago
- 6 days ago: Wesland was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Eco-Friendly Governments (last census: Top 10%).
- 6 days ago: Wesland was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- 9 days ago: Wesland was endorsed by The Federation of United Peoples Federation Of Kackistan.
- 18 days ago: Wesland was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Average.
- 18 days ago: Wesland was endorsed by The Free Land of Tarmount.
- 19 days ago: Wesland's influence in Philosophy 115 fell from "Instigator" to "Contender".
- 21 days ago: Wesland's influence in Philosophy 115 rose from "Contender" to "Instigator".
- 24 days ago: Wesland was endorsed by The Kingdom of Naothiel.
- 27 days ago: Wesland lodged a message on the Philosophy 115 Regional Message Board.
- 27 days ago: Wesland voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Individual Working Freedoms".