The Republic of Venetoland is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Edward Sheng with a fair hand, and notable for its museums and concert halls, anti-smoking policies, and smutty television. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful, devout population of 12.424 billion Venetoes love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Thomasville. The income tax rate is 100%.
The large but stagnant Venetolandian economy, worth 237 trillion venetoes a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector, which is extremely specialized, is mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 19,089 venetoes, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Warfare increasingly resembles a video game, the nation is ravaged by daily union strikes, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller, and anti-government political posters adorn every building like wallpaper. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Venetoland's national animal is the panda, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Venetoland was reclassified from "Democratic Socialists" to "Liberal Democratic Socialists".
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, anti-government political posters adorn every building like wallpaper.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, the nation is ravaged by daily union strikes.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, warfare increasingly resembles a video game.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, graffiti graces every city's streets.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, businesses that prove successful are immediately broken up.
- : Venetoland was endorsed by The United States of Ewrope.
- : Venetoland was endorsed by The Holy Empire of Zuid-Limburgia.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, torture is illegal.
Endorsements Received: 48 » Alsted, Jenesia, Eurosceptic Citizens, Short shorts, Stromia, Lexembourg, The City-State of Vienna, Fenian Provinces, Nuweland, Tigyland, Valrem, Foucaults garden, The Seven Provinces, Pileusia, Canopytown, Novo Portugal, Albertinum, Bohomo, Outer Sparta, Prinx, Wombelland, Polonilandia, Imperium Anglorum, Basque Dominion, Northern German Federation, Aurora Republic, The Fair Republic, Nova Prutenia, Estacia, Aldland, Kauderia, Limanie, Continental Social Democrats, Fortia, Nova Prussia, Vice Lands, Great Pafica, Troltovia, Fortaleza boss, The European Riech, Tuccistahn, Woschia, Freeser, Bescherelle, The Nether Regions, Strajalands, Zuid-Limburgia, and Ewrope.