The Republic of Venetoland is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Edward Sheng with an even hand, and remarkable for its strictly enforced bedtime, smutty television, and hatred of cheese. The compassionate, cheerful, devout population of 14.254 billion Venetoes are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.
The government — a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked morass — juggles the competing demands of Education, Environment, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Thomasville. The income tax rate is 100%.
The enormous but inefficient Venetolandian economy, worth a remarkable 2,218 trillion venetoes a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector, which is extremely specialized, is mostly made up of the Tourism industry, with major contributions from Book Publishing. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is an impressive 155,608 venetoes, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Punitive tariffs protect local industry, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller, the government recently relinquished its monopoly on the mail service, and medical lawsuits are out of control. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Venetoland's national animal is the panda, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, medical lawsuits are out of control.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, the government recently relinquished its monopoly on the mail service.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, punitive tariffs protect local industry.
- : Venetoland voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Digital Network Defense".
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, the government is ignoring the latest terrorist atrocities in Thomasville for fear of causing a fuss.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, pharmacies close down as medicinal drugs are sold freely by the government.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, the nation's new foreign policy of 'very disproportionate retribution' has its neighbors on edge.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, sex changes are routinely performed at Venetoland's hospitals.
- : Following new legislation in Venetoland, only fully-fledged members of MENSA are allowed to vote.
Endorsements Received: 87 » Alsted, Jenesia, Short shorts, Stromia, Lexembourg, The City-State of Vienna, Fenian Provinces, Nuweland, Tigyland, Valrem, Foucaults garden, The Seven Provinces, Canopytown, Novo Portugal, Albertinum, Bohomo, Wombelland, Imperium Anglorum, Basque Dominion, Northern German Federation, Aurora Republic, The Fair Republic, Nova Prutenia, Estacia, Fortia, Troltovia, The Nether Regions, Zuid-Limburgia, Polonilandia, Imperialist German Empire, Outer Sparta, Lesmoland, Dacian Freelands, Spagna, Ansington, Vinternia, The Zionward Union, Woschia, Eurosceptic Citizens, Chioganah, Saudi Canadia, Ivernia, Agrase, Charlesia, North of Americas, Green Counties, Fossekallen, MSolandish Empire, Dorsendo, Newmere, and 37 others.Mynox, Stannard, West-Berlin, La Jermania, The Lion of Damascus, Republic of the Goat, Huygevoort, Serbian Chetniks, Cymerra, Claudiuville, Eicant, Khogeer, Ayasofya, Noscoping, Bearhinoland, AirstripZero, Suvianova, Jamoea, Nova Kraken, Continental Social Democrats, Zifre, Mathangiakam, Rahvav, Lovisa, Otterner, Cathae, Dragao da Luz, Arlonaise, Allisonium, GeneralStalin, Ahavila, Umeria, Dassiu, Cha0sNation, Slavorussia, Kalmara, and Union of the north.