The United Socialist States of Velgorod is a colossal, orderly nation, ruled by The Regime IV with an iron fist, and renowned for its sprawling nuclear power plants, smutty television, and punitive income tax rates. The hard-nosed, cynical population of 6.517 billion Velgorodians are ruled with an iron fist by the socialist government, which grants its people the freedom to do whatever they like so long as it doesn't involve getting richer than anybody else or challenging the government.
The enormous, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Leningorod. The average income tax rate is 78.6%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The strong Velgorodian economy, worth 470 trillion Novas a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, broadly diversified black market in Book Publishing, Tourism, Beef-Based Agriculture, and Arms Manufacturing. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 72,229 Novas, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The psych wards are overflowing with transsexuals, the government has declined to declare any particular religion as its 'official' one, citizens are encouraged to report friends, family members or co-workers who seem depressed to the government for "counselling", and streakers swamp all public events in order to bare it all. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Velgorod's national animal is the Moose, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Velgorod's influence in The United Pacific States rose from "Squire" to "Apprentice".
- : Velgorod fell out of the regional Top 10% for Highest Drug Use.
- : Velgorod's influence in The United Pacific States rose from "Page" to "Squire".
- : Velgorod's influence in The United Pacific States rose from "Shoeshiner" to "Page".
- : Velgorod's influence in The United Pacific States rose from "Sprat" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Velgorod's influence in The United Pacific States rose from "Zero" to "Sprat".
- : Velgorod relocated from Lazarus to The United Pacific States.
- : Velgorod was refounded in Lazarus.
- : Velgorod ceased to exist.
- : Velgorod was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Welfare Programs.