“Turtles all the way down”
|Category: New York Times Democracy|
Regional Influence: Vassal
The Great Turtle Fence of Turtles Everywhere is a massive, genial nation, ruled by the Reanimated Turtle Commander XIII with a fair hand, and remarkable for its devotion to social welfare. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 4.98 billion enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Equality, and the Environment. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of The Sprawling Technoscape of Turtlania. The average income tax rate is 99%. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
The fire protection service is wholly government-funded, anti-government web sites are springing up, elevator music has been replaced by thrash metal played at maximum volume, and euthanasia is legal. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Turtles Everywhere's national animal is the vulture for some reason, which is also the nation's favorite main course, its national religion is Chelonism, and its currency is the turtloon.
Most Recent Government Activity: 7 days ago
- 19 hours ago: Turtles Everywhere's influence in Osiris rose from "Minnow" to "Vassal".
- 1 day 17 hours ago: Turtles Everywhere lost the endorsement of The Rogue Nation of Don Sarto.
- 1 day 18 hours ago: Turtles Everywhere was endorsed by The Rogue Nation of Don Sarto.
- 4 days ago: Turtles Everywhere's influence in Osiris fell from "Vassal" to "Minnow".
- 4 days ago: Turtles Everywhere was endorsed by The Osiran Deshreti of Ikand.
- 7 days ago: Turtles Everywhere endorsed The Empire Strikes Out of Cormac A Stark.
- 7 days ago: Turtles Everywhere was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Subsidized Industry (last census: Top 5%).
- 11 days ago: Turtles Everywhere endorsed The Osiran God of Dalimbar.
- 11 days ago: Turtles Everywhere endorsed The Warrior Pharaoh of Venico.
- 11 days ago: Turtles Everywhere withdrew its endorsement from The Empire Will Fall of Detective Figs.