“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
|Category: Liberal Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Ambassador
Location: International Democratic Union
The People's Republic of Toumba is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by The Governor with a fair hand, and remarkable for its restrictive gun laws. The compassionate, intelligent population of 14.091 billion Toumbiots love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it is mainly concerned with Education, although Social Welfare and Healthcare are secondary priorities. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Despifan City. The average income tax rate is 78%, and even higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.
Coalition governments are essential to passing new laws, the government violently surpresses separatist movements, all telephone traffic is monitored for 'national security reasons', and guns are banned. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is crippling, probably because of the country's utter lack of prisons. Toumba's national animal is the Wild Black Cat, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Tsou.
Most Recent Government Activity: 8 days ago
- 4 hours ago: Toumba was endorsed by The Commonwealth of New Cleveland.
- 8 days ago: Toumba was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Longest Average Lifespans (last census: Top 1%).
- 8 days ago: Toumba was reclassified from "Left-wing Utopia" to "Liberal Democratic Socialists".
- 8 days ago: Following new legislation in Toumba, guns are banned.
- 8 days ago: Following new legislation in Toumba, all telephone traffic is monitored for 'national security reasons'.
- 8 days ago: Following new legislation in Toumba, the government violently surpresses separatist movements.
- 8 days ago: Following new legislation in Toumba, coalition governments are essential to passing new laws.
- 8 days ago: Toumba voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Child Pornography Ban".
- 8 days ago: Toumba changed its national demonym to "Toumbiot" and its demonym adjective to "Toumbiot".
- 12 days ago: Toumba was reclassified from "Liberal Democratic Socialists" to "Left-wing Utopia".