“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
|Category: Liberal Democratic Socialists|
Regional Influence: Ambassador
Location: International Democratic Union
The People's Republic of Toumba is a gargantuan, economically powerful nation, ruled by The Governor with a fair hand, and renowned for its keen interest in outer space. The compassionate, intelligent population of 14.203 billion Toumbiots love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Education, although Social Welfare and the Environment are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Despifan City. The average income tax rate is 78%, and even higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.
Guns are banned, foreign 'investors' have been taking a great interest in the new secret shuttle, birth rates have hit an all-time low, and school uniforms are compulsory. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is crippling, probably because of the country's utter lack of prisons. Toumba's national animal is the Wild Black Cat, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Tsou.
Most Recent Government Activity: 7 days ago
- 1 day 12 hours ago: Toumba was endorsed by The Empire of Grellania.
- 7 days ago: Following new legislation in Toumba, school uniforms are compulsory.
- 7 days ago: Following new legislation in Toumba, birth rates have hit an all-time low.
- 7 days ago: Following new legislation in Toumba, foreign 'investors' have been taking a great interest in the new secret shuttle.
- 13 days ago: Toumba was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Nudest.
- 19 days ago: Toumba was endorsed by The Commonwealth of New Cleveland.
- 27 days ago: Toumba was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Longest Average Lifespans (last census: Top 1%).
- 27 days ago: Toumba was reclassified from "Left-wing Utopia" to "Liberal Democratic Socialists".
- 27 days ago: Following new legislation in Toumba, guns are banned.
- 27 days ago: Following new legislation in Toumba, all telephone traffic is monitored for 'national security reasons'.