“Dreaming of the Cretaceous”
|Category: Left-wing Utopia|
Regional Influence: Handshaker
The Urmel Island of Titiwu is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Seelefant with a fair hand, and notable for its compulsory vegetarianism. The compassionate, intelligent population of 16.39 billion Titiwuans are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Education, although the Environment and Social Equality are secondary priorities. The average income tax rate is 62%, and even higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.
Teachers are routinely tested to keep their jobs, graffiti graces every city's streets, dog breeding has been banned in accordance with recent animal experimentation laws, and an increasing percentage of the population's youth have homosexual parents. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is a problem, and the police force struggles against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Titiwu's national animal is the Urmel, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the sea shell.
Most Recent Government Activity: 8 days ago
- 5 days ago: Titiwu was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Politically Free (last census: Top 10%).
- 6 days ago: Titiwu's influence in Haiku rose from "Truckler" to "Handshaker".
- 8 days ago: Titiwu was reclassified from "Civil Rights Lovefest" to "Left-wing Utopia".
- 8 days ago: Following new legislation in Titiwu, an increasing percentage of the population's youth have homosexual parents.
- 8 days ago: Following new legislation in Titiwu, dog breeding has been banned in accordance with recent animal experimentation laws.
- 8 days ago: Titiwu lodged a message on the Haiku Regional Message Board.
- 26 days ago: Titiwu fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Eco-Friendly Governments.
- 29 days ago: Titiwu was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Welfare Programs (last census: Top 5%).
- 32 days ago: Following new legislation in Titiwu, graffiti graces every city's streets.
- 32 days ago: Following new legislation in Titiwu, teachers are routinely tested to keep their jobs.