The Urmel Island of Titiwu is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Seelefant with a fair hand, and renowned for its lack of airports, anti-smoking policies, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful population of 17.679 billion Titiwuans are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The medium-sized, outspoken government prioritizes Education, with Environment, Social Policy, and Welfare also on the agenda, while Defense and Spirituality aren't funded at all. The average income tax rate is 81.7%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but stagnant Titiwuan economy, worth 207 trillion sea shells a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Book Publishing industry, with significant contributions from Tourism and Basket Weaving. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 11,735 sea shells, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Children are raised bilingual from an early age, tourists outnumber citizens two to one, artists are pillars of society, and government officials across Titiwu are being "encouraged" to adopt Urmels to set an example for the populace. Crime is well under control. Titiwu's national animal is the Urmel, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity: 40 days ago
- 38 days ago: Titiwu's influence in Haiku fell from "Duckspeaker" to "Handshaker".
- 39 days ago: Titiwu's influence in Haiku rose from "Handshaker" to "Duckspeaker".
- 49 days ago: Titiwu was ranked in the Top 1% of the world for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens (last census: Top 5%).
- 54 days ago: Titiwu fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Cultured.
- 56 days ago: Titiwu fell out of the regional Top 10% for Best Weather.
- 57 days ago: Titiwu was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Largest Welfare Programs (last census: Top 10%).
- 59 days ago: Titiwu fell out of the regional Top 10% for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- 62 days ago: Titiwu lodged a message on the Haiku Regional Message Board.
- 70 days ago: Titiwu was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Average Tax Rates.
- 70 days ago: Following new legislation in Titiwu, government officials across Titiwu are being "encouraged" to adopt Urmels to set an example for the populace.