The Whimsical Republic of The Orion Nebula is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, ruled by Rigel Mintaka with an iron fist, and notable for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 17.637 billion Orions enjoy great individual freedoms in everything except elections, which, where they exist at all, are populist shams for a dictatorship government that has no intention of ever giving up power.
The tiny, corrupt, pro-business, well-organized government is effectively ruled by the Department of Defense, although Industry is also considered important, while Spirituality and Environment aren't funded at all. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Trapezium. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 2.6%.
The frighteningly efficient Orion economy, worth a remarkable 3,206 trillion warbucks a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, broadly diversified black market in Information Technology, Arms Manufacturing, Uranium Mining, and Book Publishing. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is an impressive 181,781 warbucks, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 614,202 per year while the poor average 39,793, a ratio of 15.4 to 1.
Elevator music has been replaced by thrash metal played at maximum volume, The Orion Nebula is increasingly belligerent on the international stage, the police force is on a recruitment drive, and birds and children's kites are regularly brought down by anti-aircraft fire. Crime is pervasive, probably because of the absence of a police force. The Orion Nebula's national animal is the squid, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to heavy metals seepage into national waterways.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : The Orion Nebula fell out of the world Top 5% for Largest Trout Fishing Sector.
- : The Orion Nebula fell out of the world Top 5% for Most Subsidized Industry.
- : The Orion Nebula was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Subsidized Industry.
- : The Orion Nebula was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Furniture Restoration Industry.
- : The Orion Nebula voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "World Space Administration"".
- : The Orion Nebula was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- : The Orion Nebula was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Most Popular Tourist Destinations.
- : The Orion Nebula was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Smartest Citizens.
- : The Orion Nebula was reclassified from "Compulsory Consumerist State" to "Benevolent Dictatorship".
- : The Orion Nebula changed its national demonym to "Orion" and its demonym adjective to "Orion".
Endorsements Received: 1 » Aurorae Sinus.