“They who give up comedy for maturity, deserve neither”
|Category: Benevolent Dictatorship|
Regional Influence: Power
Location: New York
The Whimsical Republic of The Orion Nebula is a gargantuan, cultured nation, ruled by Rigel Mintaka with an iron fist, and remarkable for its complete lack of public education. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 14.852 billion enjoy great individual freedoms in everything except elections, which, where they exist at all, are populist shams for a dictatorship government that has no intention of ever giving up power.
The minute, corrupt, pro-business government, or what there is of one, is effectively ruled by the Department of Defence, with areas such as Religion & Spirituality and the Environment receiving almost no funds by comparison. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Trapezium. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 1%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Arms Manufacturing.
Citizens are enjoying a recent large cut in taxes, people are now classified as male, female, or genderqueer, the streets are increasingly clogged with poverty-stricken beggars, and the nation's new foreign policy of 'very disproportionate retribution' has its neighbors on edge. Crime is crippling. The Orion Nebula's national animal is the Orion Slave Girl, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the warbuck.
Most Recent Government Activity: 20 hours ago
- 20 hours ago: The Orion Nebula lodged a message on the New York Regional Message Board.
- 3 days 19 hours ago: The Orion Nebula was endorsed by The Free Republic of Vanic Topia.
- 8 days ago: The Orion Nebula was ranked in the Top 10% of the region for Largest Pizza Delivery Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- 27 days ago: The Orion Nebula was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Pizza Delivery Sector (last census: Top 10%).
- 33 days ago: The Orion Nebula voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Harmful Consumer Goods Act".
- 36 days ago: The Orion Nebula approved the World Assembly proposal "Harmful Consumer Goods Act".
- 36 days ago: The Orion Nebula voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Against Corruption".
- 41 days ago: The Orion Nebula was ranked in the Top 5% of the region for Largest Timber Woodchipping Industry (last census: Top 10%).
- 42 days ago: Following new legislation in The Orion Nebula, the nation's new foreign policy of 'very disproportionate retribution' has its neighbors on edge.
- 42 days ago: The Orion Nebula voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Liberate NAZI EUROPE"".