The Whimsical Republic of The Orion Nebula is a gargantuan, efficient nation, ruled by Rigel Mintaka with an iron fist, and notable for its frequent executions, keen interest in outer space, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, cynical, humorless population of 17.913 billion Orions are proud of their wide-ranging civil freedoms, and those who aren't tend to be dragged off the streets by men in dark suits and hustled into cars with tinted windows.
The tiny, corrupt, well-organized government is effectively ruled by the Department of Defense, with Industry also on the agenda, while Spirituality and Environment are ignored. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Trapezium. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 3.0%.
The frighteningly efficient Orion economy, worth a remarkable 3,433 trillion warbucks a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized, broadly diversified black market in Information Technology, Arms Manufacturing, Uranium Mining, and Book Publishing. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is an impressive 191,686 warbucks, with the richest citizens earning 5.7 times as much as the poorest.
Elevator music has been replaced by thrash metal played at maximum volume, The Orion Nebula is increasingly belligerent on the international stage, the police force is on a recruitment drive, and birds and children's kites are regularly brought down by anti-aircraft fire. Crime is pervasive, probably because of the absence of a police force. The Orion Nebula's national animal is the squid, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to heavy metals seepage into national waterways.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : The Orion Nebula was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Pizza Delivery Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- : The Orion Nebula's influence in Mars rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : The Orion Nebula's influence in Mars rose from "Zero" to "Minnow".
- : The Orion Nebula relocated from Osiris to Mars.
- : The Orion Nebula was refounded in Osiris.
- : The Orion Nebula ceased to exist.
- : The Orion Nebula fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Publishing Industry.
- : The Orion Nebula was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Basket Weaving Sector (last census: Top 5%).
- : The Orion Nebula fell out of the regional Top 10% for Largest Basket Weaving Sector.
- : The Orion Nebula was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements.